Sign in to follow this  

bad monoshock's

If a bike has been sitting 25 years will that cause the shock to go bad? It has no nitrogen left. I have 2 1982 honda's both acting the same, spring action only. I don't think these bikes have been used very much at all. Can they be recharged with nitrogen or will they have to be rebuilt? Thanks

you wrote "spring action only"

do you mean there's no damping? then they need a rebuild

I was wondering what the nitrogen does. I have a xr350r that has a good working monoshock and I can hear the dampening especially well if I compress the shock and let it up. I just don't know what is going on in there. There are no signs of oil leakage on the non-working shock. Thanks

if they have no damping, the oil is gone. the nitrogene is needed to compensate for the piston rod when it enters the shock body. the pressure is needed to force the seal head to stay in place, otherwise it would go up and down. and, the pressure minimizes cavitation

If I saw any sign of oil leakage I would also figure that the oil is gone, but the shock is completely clean no dust sticking to anything. I also believe it is likely the bike has never been cleaned other than by a garden hose. I'll try some pressure. It sound like it is required for the shock to work as designed, but how much?

usually, on mx shocks, there's about 145psi / 10bar. but once again, no damping/no oil...

Turn the adjusters all the way in and put as much air in as possible(good idea ickfinger). Bounce on the seat. If it moves slowly you still have oil at least. It might be a waste of money to recharge with nitrogen and not rebuild the shock. If the hose or seal is leaking you would have to replace that and recharge again. I have seen shocks that were fine but some inquisitive mind just pushed the Shrader valve in out of curiosity.

I don't believe either bike has been run since the mid eighty's and wondered if they could lose their charge from sitting. I found a shop that will rebuild it for $100 if necessary, hope I don't need to. Thanks