Sign in to follow this  

traded 2004 cr250 for 2009 crf450

I had a mint condition 2004 cr250, with maybe 20 hours on it total, IMG_0916.jpg

I traded it for an 09 450 the other day, has a little over 50 hours on it, all stock besides skid plate and pro-tapers.

I've stripped it down and am in the process of re-greasing all the bearings, bleeding the brakes, changing all the fluids etc. Is there anything specific I should check for or service? The bike appears to have been taken care of, I'm just not very familiar with the 4 strokes.

Thanks

• Like 1

Man that CR250 that you had is beautiful! That thing is so clean you could eat off it! I plan on trying to pick up a CR250R one day to have fun on.

Enjoy the 450!

I want those plastics on the 04 I'm about to buy!!! looks so clean

If your CRF450 will look as nice as that CR please post a pic!  that CR is NICE!!!

I still have a really nice 2003 CR250R, it is not as clean as the one in the pic here though!! Still enjoy riding the CR!!!

They should still make them IMO

.... SERVICE HONDA CR250AF

2011.500af.fullside.jpg

Bet that 9-12 chassi works like a champ with the lighter motor.

like 10,000 dollars,

you could have a pretty rockin 450 for that kinda dough....

• Like 1

Have a couple of 3rd gen CR250's (03/07) combined with a 10 CRF450r & enjoy riding both 2t / 4t.   Your 04 is mint hopefully you got a good clean 09 model as a trade.   I feel your going to miss that bike in time as it's a premier 250 2t & hard to find in that condition.  Just curious is that a factory expansion chamber on the CR2 it looks like the one I tried to pick up for my 03 model ?  it was an HRC.     

I'd check the valve adjustment just to see where they are at.

I got rid of the automatic cam chain tensioner and installed a manual one on my 06, nice to have the piece of mind.

Keep in mind that these bikes like to have the oil changed often, I do mine when it starts getting some color to it, about every 15 hours. I do the tranny oil at the same time, always get a bit of metal in it from the clutch basket.

Edited by sandlvr69

I'd check the valve adjustment just to see where they are at.

I got rid of the automatic cam chain tensioner and installed a manual one on my 06, nice to have the piece of mind.

Keep in mind that these bikes like to have the oil changed often, I do mine when it starts getting some color to it, about every 15 hours. I do the tranny oil at the same time, always get a bit of metal in it from the clutch basket.

Often? Every 15 hours? Yikes.

It's your bike but me and a lot of people I know aim for every five hours. Every two changes change the filter and tranny fluid as well.

+1 on the Manuel cam chain tensioner.

Edited by Diggla117

Often? Every 15 hours? Yikes.

It's your bike but me and a lot of people I know aim for every five hours. Every two changes change the filter and tranny fluid as well.

+1 on the manual cam chain tensioner.

5 hours? Really? I guess if you are bouncing it off the limiter...

I got an analysis done on 15 hour oil and they said I could have doubled it, easily. 30 seems like too long. Trail riding is pretty easy on oil I guess.

5 hours? Really? I guess if you are bouncing it off the limiter...

I got an analysis done on 15 hour oil and they said I could have doubled it, easily. 30 seems like too long. Trail riding is pretty easy on oil I guess.

What what and what.

Analysis? Doubled it? 30 hours?

Time out. 700ml, 1 quart=5 bucks

Bouncing off the rev limiter? Yeah we don't get to ride Much so when we do we ridin. Not sure if your chillin back with the 80's or what.

If you run your bike hard Your supposed to change the piston every 50 hours..

Your bike tho! If your gonna be that cheap about it (once again five bucks a quart) and try to squeeze 15 hours in, ya might wanna keep that bad boy under three thousand rpms.. I'm just sayin.

Edited by Diggla117

What what and what.

Analysis? Doubled it? 30 hours?

Time out. 700ml, 1 quart=5 bucks

Bouncing off the rev limiter? Yeah we don't get to ride Much so when we do we ridin. Not sure if your chillin back with the 80's or what.

If you run your bike hard Your supposed to change the piston every 50 hours..

Your bike tho! If your gonna be that cheap about it (once again five bucks a quart) and try to squeeze 15 hours in, ya might wanna keep that bad boy under three thousand rpms.. I'm just sayin.

O, a little condescension have we? Dunno how long you have been at it but I have been riding for 40 years, usually every weekend and technical singletrack,  In that time I have learned:

#1 not to be a moron and run $5 garbage oil

#2 analysis helps make INFORMED decisions rather than just what your moron buddies are all doing OR what some jackass tells you to do on the web. 

#3 Piston changes at 50 hours across the board is for idiots. Different bikes being ridden differently need a different interval. Between 20 and 150 is a good interval...

#4 Be careful who's cherios you piss in. That guy might be a shit ton better rider and mechanic than you are.

Are you guys both feeling alright? 

A new piston every 50 hours? I  would have to rebuild my top end 4 times a year at that rate?

50 hours?  :jawdrop:

You must be talking strictly moto cross or something. I know guys that ride 50 hours a week!

Absolutely prestine CR man

I have an 04 myself and a 09 crF 450r

If you have any issues with it not starting when its hot don't be surprised. the 09 had an issue with that.

Also make sure it had the cam tensioner recall done. There should be a punch mark next to the vin number if it was done

But did you say you were going manual anyway?

If you have that hot start issue let me know i can give you a hand

The trick with the 09 is Eddie sisneros fuel map.

It makes it a whole new bike

Edited by automagp68

The "recall" mentioned above is for the cam's auto-decompression system, not for the cam chain tensioning system... The decomp system was inadvertently activating during some low-rpm engine operation events causing part breakage and an inoperable system, not to mention stalling the bike. The new parts should still be available for free from the dealer, but if the parts have been replaced you're all set with that.

Are you guys both feeling alright?

A new piston every 50 hours? I would have to rebuild my top end 4 times a year at that rate?

50 hours? :jawdrop:

You must be talking strictly moto cross or something. I know guys that ride 50 hours a week!

Absolutely prestine CR man

I have an 04 myself and a 09 crF 450r

If you have any issues with it not starting when its hot don't be surprised. the 09 had an issue with that.

Also make sure it had the cam tensioner recall done. There should be a punch mark next to the vin number if it was done

But did you say you were going manual anyway?

If you have that hot start issue let me know i can give you a hand

The trick with the 09 is Eddie sisneros fuel map.

It makes it a whole new bike

Edited by Eddie8v