Sign in to follow this  

new cam for my ole dodge

So i have a 2000 dodge ram with the 360 magnum. i want to run a new exhaust cam because i have the headers and custom exhaust( i would do an intake cam but i do not have an aftermarket manifold)

I want to keep it mild just a little somethin somethin to let the other rammies know whos the boss:banana:

Im open to any ideas and/or suggestions!

You have to becareful about changing the cam due to the design of the fuel injection. A high performance cam may drop your vacum at idle and make it run rich and eat gas. It would need to be tuned to match the cam.

yea i plan on tuning it accordingly. there are mild cams for aftermarket headers on the comp cams site but idk which would do me right. heeeelp!!

What kind of power are you trying to make.? ie torquey stump puller power for pulling a load or peaky dragstrip power for high RPM screaming?

Alot of guys like the KRC 206X grind as kind of an RV cam but the 210X is more racey. KRC is out of business now but I believe you can still buy their grinds from comp cams. Dodge has some R/T cams but mostly dragstrip guys are the ones that seem attracted to them. Whatever you do you'll likely need to upgrade valve springs etc as well especially if your heads already have some miles.

Either way you decide to go with the power profile you'll likely need a retune for the cam which is best accomplished via SCT tuner programmed by Hemifever. This tuner is highly recmended anyway to override the factory "death flash" your truck came with from the factory. The term death flash may sound cool but trust me it isn't. Dodge basically crippled these trucks by detuning them through the years via weak computer tunes in an attempt to cover other design flaws and avoid recalls. A proper performance tune makes a gigantic improvement on a death flashed vehicle in both power and mileage.

An alternate less expensive route that wouldn't require retuning the computer or new valve springs/retainers etc would be the Harland & Sharp 1.7:1 ratio non adjustable roller rockers. It bumps up lift slightly and so adds a little kick but isn't so wild the computer can't handle it. They say the lifters are good for around 20hp or so and as many or more ft.lbs of torque but that's just what I've read. You can picke them up for around $300 and thay are way less complicated install than a cam.

All the upgrade recomendations assumes the truck is in a good state of tune first. Obviously if you already have a leaking plenum gasket or super worn plugs or something robbing 50hp your best first bet would be getting her up to spec first.

What kind of power are you trying to make.? ie torquey stump puller power for pulling a load or peaky dragstrip power for high RPM screaming?

Alot of guys like the KRC 206X grind as kind of an RV cam but the 210X is more racey. KRC is out of business now but I believe you can still buy their grinds from comp cams. Dodge has some R/T cams but mostly dragstrip guys are the ones that seem attracted to them. Whatever you do you'll likely need to upgrade valve springs etc as well especially if your heads already have some miles.

Either way you decide to go with the power profile you'll likely need a retune for the cam which is best accomplished via SCT tuner programmed by Hemifever. This tuner is highly recmended anyway to override the factory "death flash" your truck came with from the factory. The term death flash may sound cool but trust me it isn't. Dodge basically crippled these trucks by detuning them through the years via weak computer tunes in an attempt to cover other design flaws and avoid recalls. A proper performance tune makes a gigantic improvement on a death flashed vehicle in both power and mileage.

An alternate less expensive route that wouldn't require retuning the computer or new valve springs/retainers etc would be the Harland & Sharp 1.7:1 ratio non adjustable roller rockers. It bumps up lift slightly and so adds a little kick but isn't so wild the computer can't handle it. They say the lifters are good for around 20hp or so and as many or more ft.lbs of torque but that's just what I've read. You can picke them up for around $300 and thay are way less complicated install than a cam.

All the upgrade recomendations assumes the truck is in a good state of tune first. Obviously if you already have a leaking plenum gasket or super worn plugs or something robbing 50hp your best first bet would be getting her up to spec first.

thanks for the input bro! i have installed new plugs and wires. im about to do a tranny, diff, transfer case, and radiator flush to get it freshened up a bit more before doing these mods.

thinking of your valve springs comment i think that would be the better route now that i think about it because i use my truck quite a bit and i cant afford something to fudge up with as big as a cam can. i may just go with new injectors and harness and springs, and gearing for the future. 👍

oh and referring back to your "what kind of power question" i want earth moving, bowl shaking, underwear staining hp in the 1000 range! NOT! just a litttle somehting maybe like 30 to 40 more? Nothing special just something to kind of wake up the ole magnum ye know?

The first thing you need to do is go to this website:

http://www.performancetrucks.net

They helped me when i did the mods on my silverado. Lots and lots of info. Make sure you spend the money and get a proper custom tune. that's really the key to dial everything in together. if you're running an aftermarket exhaust set up right now with no tune, your truck is probably running lean, and you don't know it.

I have a full exhaust on my truck. Pacesetter long tubes, pacesetter off road Y (deletes cats and downstream o2's), dynomax 2 stage muffler out the back of the stock single pipe. Also know that, sometimes having duals when you've got a really unrestrictive exhaust like mine isn't always the best. Sometimes you'll get less power. I know that goes against everything anyone has ever told you, but the guys I normally deal with put the Dyno results where thier mouth is. normally with a high flow exhaust, you've got to run an X pipe or something along those lines to get the full potential out of the system. Dyno's are your friend.

You should also look up Powerbond underdrive pulleys and balancers. Really add throttle response. Also, don't believe the hype with iridium and platinum plugs. Not all vehicles dyno better with those. My truck? I use NGK TR55 plugs, copper core. They dyno'd better than both the TR55 iridium and platinum cousins. fine tuning is where you get the power, and having all the parts work together with each other. your cam will be no different.

Also, since we're on performance stuff, cold air intakes that have the exposed filter under the hood, pull in hotter air than most stock air intake boxes. Engine compartments are hot, and that's where the air is comming from. In a lot of apps, like mine for instance, just swapping out the filter for a high flow filter is better. The air coming up from the fender well is much cooler than that in the engine compartment. Most people get the cold air intakes with the cone filter because they think it will give them all this power, when in reality, it just looks cool under the hood. Swapping the filter for an OEM replacement high flow filter is really the trick, and it's much cheaper. The only exception is a system made by, I think it's Vollance or something. It's sealed cold air intake, with smooth down pipe, and it gather air from outside, not inside. Very functional, and also has an aftermarket ram air accessory that equally as functional. HAPPY TUNING!

Oh, my sleeper:

758.jpg

757.jpg

756.jpg

Here's what I'd recommend.

1. SCT tuner with performance tune

2. replace factory y-pipe with something like a Magnaflow y-pipe. The factory y's are horrible choke point yu can see when you cut them open.

3. Aftermarket 3" I/O universal fit magnaflow cat.

4. 3" cat back with high flow muffler of choice.

Just this could probably get you over 40 hp for 3-400 bucks installed.

Throw in those H&S 1.7:1 ratio roller rockers, efan, headers, 52mm throttle body, and a ram air intake and you'd have a whole new truck. But some of this stuff can be pricier.

BTW I was only recommending new valve springs if you get a more radical cam. By themselves valve springs wont buy you anything unless your stockers are completely shot.

One other thing man. These magnum engines are notorious for blown plenum gaskets which when blown rob like 25% or your horsepower. You want to make sure that thing aint blown before doing anything else. Seriously they go out like every 20K miles when using the oem setup. Hughes makes a plenum repair kit which fixes the problem so it never happens again. Highly recommended tuneup type mod.

You can often tell if your plenum gasket is blown by shining a flashlight down in your throttle body opening and looking for pooled oil down on the plenum plate.

Another good thing to do on a high mile magnum engine is upgrade to a nice double roller timing chain. Might as well replace water pump while your in there doing the timing chain.

I do have a tuner. its a superchips, a cold air intake, pacesetter shorty headers, stocky y pipe( i really want to go aftermarket on that) magnaflow high flow cat, and a morosso spiral flow muffler to the stock tailpipe.

would an sct tuner be more beneficial than the superchips tuner? if so how much more of a gain?

which y pipe would fit my dodge?👍

Which superchips do you have? The superchips are supposed to be pretty good however the SCT is generally considered to be the best. I don't knwo how much since my Ram has OBD1 which isn't compatible with either. I run the Dodge performance PCM which that say is god but not up to the SCT etc. SCT supposedly does everything that can be done except the speedo adjustment. Many of things it does such as remove the torque management cannot be accomplished by the superchips. One advantage some of the superchips models have as I understand it is the ability to modify speedo calibration to compensate for tire size changes and the SCT doesn't do that. Among dudes who build magnums the SCT is the go to solution because hemifever is this tuning wizard guy who can give you custom tunes for any engine combo conceivable.

As far as y pipes. Dodge changed around so much through the years you'll probably have to measure what you need. If I had to guess I'd say probably a 2X 2" in and 1X 3" out. I have the magnaflow y and that seems fine.

Which superchips do you have? The superchips are supposed to be pretty good however the SCT is generally considered to be the best. I don't knwo how much since my Ram has OBD1 which isn't compatible with either. I run the Dodge performance PCM which that say is god but not up to the SCT etc. SCT supposedly does everything that can be done except the speedo adjustment. Many of things it does such as remove the torque management cannot be accomplished by the superchips. One advantage some of the superchips models have as I understand it is the ability to modify speedo calibration to compensate for tire size changes and the SCT doesn't do that. Among dudes who build magnums the SCT is the go to solution because hemifever is this tuning wizard guy who can give you custom tunes for any engine combo conceivable.

As far as y pipes. Dodge changed around so much through the years you'll probably have to measure what you need. If I had to guess I'd say probably a 2X 2" in and 1X 3" out. I have the magnaflow y and that seems fine.

i have heard the same thing about SCT. and also HemiFevor's name thrown around quite a bit. But to answer your question, i have the 3615 tuner from superchips. I got it for $100 off craigs. and yes it does compensate for wheel size and i love that! It also raised the shift points, speedo etc.. thanks for the input man!🤣