Sign in to follow this  

Need 50-state plated 4 stroke.

Need something plated from stock: New York resident.

I'm a novice rider, looking to trail ride, both DSing to the trails, linking singletracks with paved roads, and a tiny bit of around town riding for kicks. Maybe some mx practice nights. Will also be trailering/trucking the bike too.

I am 6' and 165 in gear; avid downhill mountain biker used to rocks, roots, hills, etc. I plan to gain the new skills quickly, and will be riding with very advanced riders and possibly entering some local enduros so as to experience trails that are otherwise not accessible.

Don't want to buy something I will outgrow within a year. Looking to spend $4K max, but by the time Spring rolls around I could stretch that a little, unless I end up investing in a trailer too.

Can't afford a recent KTM EXC and don't want one that is older and could have issues. Husaberg, Husky are the same story with even less support.

DRZ seems like old tech and a bit of a pig.

I would buy a WR250R immediately if it had 10 more horsepower stock. It is still at the top of my list... but it is tough to get excited about the bike and am worried that having to keep the revs so high will make learning how to ride East Coast woods tougher than necessary.

Any other bikes out there I'm missing? Very frustrated with the big gap in the market from the Jap makers.

Buy the WR250R and when/ever you gain those excellent skills you spoke about buy yourself a bore-kit for it. They are great bikes. With a pipe and a little work they can be a fun DS.....

Everything is compromise, unless you spend real money. Or pony up and buy a new KTM450

Enjoy,

M

Yep, I will continue to keep an eye out for both low mileage hopped-up WR250Rs and EXCs... I just wish there was some other great plated bike out there that I was missing. A WR450R or a plateable CRF250/450X are just a dream.

Thanks guys.

The point you are missing is that the pre-2008 KTM 450 EXC's are likely the best 4 stroke KTM has ever made....the "RFS" engine. I know several guys who have them...a few bikes with a few hundred hours on them and very little maintenance. I would buy the KTM hands down. The WR250 isnt going to get the job done...heavy for the power it produces and higher maintenance.

higher maintenance.

can you explain this.

my experience has been that these bikes are one of the lower maintenance bikes to come out in recent years. as a matter of fact i know a guy that's had the same bike for years and it still runs flawlessly on original piston, valves, everything with close to 500 hours on it.

the pre-2008 KTM 450 EXC's are likely the best 4 stroke KTM has ever made....the "RFS" engine. I know several guys who have them...a few bikes with a few hundred hours on them and very little maintenance.

Yep I wouldn't be afraid of the "right" used KTM 450exc....if you look hard I bet an 09 530 can be had which would be great for connecting dirt. I think you'll out grow the wr and it'll fall short on asphalt.

can you explain this.

my experience has been that these bikes are one of the lower maintenance bikes to come out in recent years. as a matter of fact i know a guy that's had the same bike for years and it still runs flawlessly on original piston, valves, everything with close to 500 hours on it.

I am assuming that you are talking about the WR250. I think that Yamaha makes the best 250F on the market. If you are talking about the mid 2000s CRF250X/F, there is endless information on the internet that suggests the CRF250 was one of the highest maintenance motorcycles ever built. If someone were hell bent on buying a 250F, I would recommend a Yamaha. However, if they were open to other options, I wouldnt recommend a 250F for off road riding...especially for this guy who wants to DS. The 250Fs are heavy with regard to the power they produce. With respect to other engine designs, such as bigger bore 4ts and trail specific 2 strokes, such as the KTM 200/250/300 EXC, it has been my experinece that the 250F in general is a much higher maintenance machine. As I mentioned, I know a few people that ride KTM 450 EXCs. There are a couple of them pushing 350-400 hours on the original top end. I have never heard of any 250F running that long without a complete head rebuild...most with a complete top end rebuild. It may be possible, but I have never heard of one. Most common are threads about 250F complete top end rebuilds after about 100 hours...maybe 150 hours if the bike was really pampered.