Sign in to follow this  

stock fork oil, or heavier ?

changing fork oil drz 400 s with stock showa forks, suzuki recomends 3w fork oil, im 250lbs with gear, stock valving with upgraded springs, any suggestions?

The problem is the weight number on an oil bottle is a weight class of the oil at 100 degrees C. Better is the actual viscosity of the oil at 40 degrees C. Here is a good read and a table of suspension oil viscosity at 40C http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/lowspeed.htm

I've used Racetech Light (15.2cSt) and Maxima Fork Oil 5wt (15.9cSt), also HP Pro fork oil 5wt (17.0cSt) which I thought was too thick for trail riding.

the oil i removed was thick, the belray hv1 3w i installed was like water, and thats what suzuki recomends, the dampning rod has very little resistance in the new oil, im changing the dampning settings from hard to soft and compressing by hand and i feel no difference

if you use maxima 7 oil you have more stiff at low speed only and you can run with a clicker out ,the suspension work much better then 3w with closed clicker