Sign in to follow this  

Landing with the throttle on.

Fairly new to the mx scene. I know you are suppose to jump and land with the throttle on for speed and help soften the landing. I have a 09yz450 and when I do this the power wants to send me to the back of the bike. I hear people landing with the rev limiter on and I can not imagine doing this on my bike. What am I doing wrong?

I haven't ridden a 450, but on 250f's, I agree with what was said above, you don't get back on the throttle until you're just about to land. Watch any video of Barcia riding, he will be on the limiter over the jump and he will be back off the throttle right as he lands for a brief moment and then full wick as he compresses the suspension on landing. Of course, keeping your body forward is critical, but it should come natural.

Edited by tye1138

Use the rear brake to tip the bike over to the front a little bit and then use the clutch and release it right before you land.

Thanks for the advice. I should add the track I ride has 1 jump that has a flat landing, no down ramp and that is the one giving me the most problems. I need to be on the gas the most here because to soften the landing and it is another 30 yards to the next turn but unfortunately that is the one that it is all I can do to hold on with the throttle on.

It takes lots of practice but you need to move farther forward like has been said. Traction will dictate how much. I think of it like this... I try to ride with the intention of having the bike push me around the track rather than have it pull me around. When the bike is pulling you, you are mostly using your arms. When it is pushing you, you can use much more of your legs.

• Like 1

It takes lots of practice but you need to move farther forward like has been said. Traction will dictate how much. I think of it like this... I try to ride with the intention of having the bike push me around the track rather than have it pull me around. When the bike is pulling you, you are mostly using your arms. When it is pushing you, you can use much more of your legs.

Well put and it makes sense.

everyone above is right.

mostly pros land with full throttle on and way forward on the bike but for you and me there is really no point just keep it at a constant speed to maintain your momentum as you land

everyone above is right.

mostly pros land with full throttle on and way forward on the bike but for you and me there is really no point

Did you read what you typed? You don't really believe this do you?

There are many reasons (and "points") to land with the throttle WFO! In this case I will point out one. The faster the rear wheel is turning will equal the more ground that is covered during the compression period of landing, which in turn will dissipate more energy over a longer distance, creating less shock to the rider and possibly keeping him from falling off the back. There are many more reasons if you want me to keep going.

Do only the pros deserve to feel less shock and abuse while landing?

The point is, it sounds to me like the OP is trying to learn, go faster, and do it safely. He is not being complacent and satisfied with just doing OK, he wants to do great, as we all should, in everything we do!

Fairly new to the mx scene. I know you are suppose to jump and land with the throttle on for speed and help soften the landing. I have a 09yz450 and when I do this the power wants to send me to the back of the bike. I hear people landing with the rev limiter on and I can not imagine doing this on my bike. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like you need to land with your body position more forward. Then row down and back a little as you land but control this movement by holding yourself forward with the handlebars.

Along with leaning more forward, be sure you're squeezing the dog sh!t out of your gas tank with your legs and pushing into the front of the pegs. This will take a lot of the load off your arms if you aren't already doing it.

A bit of thread derailment: What parts of Ky are you from? What tracks do you ride at?

Use the rear brake to tip the bike over to the front a little bit and then use the clutch and release it right before you land.

Although not terrible advice, do not do this

Along with leaning more forward, be sure you're squeezing the dog sh!t out of your gas tank with your legs and pushing into the front of the pegs. This will take a lot of the load off your arms if you aren't already doing it.

A bit of thread derailment: What parts of Ky are you from? What tracks do you ride at?

Im in Ashland. I ride mostly at Rolling Rock MX in Wv occasionally at Milton mx in Wv and in the winter I go to Earlywine mx at their indoor track.

I try to ride with the intention of having the bike push me around the track rather than have it pull me around. When the bike is pulling you, you are mostly using your arms. When it is pushing you, you can use much more of your legs.

Great advise!! I try to keep that in my head as I ride.