Stock offsets

Does anyone know for a fact what the triple clamp offsets are on the different year 450's? I would love a set of 20's but can't afford what I've found even used. Ebay always has reasonalbly priced stock sets, so if I could get closer to 20's than my 06 came with stock, I'd go that route. Thanks for the help.

I've thought 09-11 were 23.0, and the 2012 is 22.

I put a pair of 09 triples on my 06, and I can say with great confidence that it made a huge improvement to the front traction and ease of leaning the bike over on entry to a turn. I remember that day clearly. For about $90 it was money well spent.

I've put an e-axle on with the 23 triples and experimented from 21 to 25mm, and all round I think 22 is the best. For soft sand or easy/groomed tracks I'd go 21. For rough bumpy tracks stick with 22 or 23.

I would love a set of 20's but can't afford what I've found even used.
No idea where you are at with your 06. But in case it helps, here are some low cost ways to make your 06 handle 5 times better:

1. 09 triple clamps. Cheap $ for 23mm. Stock 24.5mm is terrible.

2. 08 front engine mount. Makes the chassis smoother all round. If strapped for cash, just use longer bolts and lots of washers. Use stainless steel. Move those mount brackets out about 15mm per side. Cost maybe $20.

3. Used 08 linkage. Both pull rod and rocker. Even better is the longer 07 pull rod mated to the 08 rocker. About $40 on ebay for a used set. Hope for good bearings in them.

4. Stiffer fork spring. Just do one leg will do. Gives a nicer progression and avoids front dive. Holds the bike up a little out of the harsh mid stroke valving, so you can avoid going too firm on the comp clicker or overly high on the oil volume. A suspension shop might sell you a used 0.48 or 0.49 for $40 or there abouts.

5. Thin down the cylinder hangers (mounts) to look like the 2010 and later mounts. The stock plates are way too stiff and make the chassis too harsh. Cost = nil, if you have the right tools.

Stock 06 valving in the shock was terrible. Forks pretty bad too! If your shock is old, just bin it, and take a gamble on a cheap used later model shock.

Keep the for caps up in the triples, especially if you firm up the springs, so the front just works better. The sag is critical on any KX, and best set by trial and error.

I think you also have to beware of using a rear spring that is too stiff since I think all the Kawi linkages already have a lot of "rising rate". 06 to 08 linkages don't need stiff springs.

The 06 can be a great bike. Compared to stock, so much better handling is possible. The motor is amazing, and the engine and frame are much lighter than the later models.

Edited by numroe
Added point 5.