Drz Windshields

look at my thread on the 28l safari tank install, has some good pics of my TCI products windshield and windshield mounted rack with Wolfman bags

top quality product but pricey

easiest and cheapest is the Cee Baily's mount made for the DRZ, about $100, my TCI setup cost me about $250, worth it though...if you are doing the adventure touring route like I am

here is the link...actually not the greatest view of the windshield

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994828&highlight=safari+tank+install

I did put some of the that black auto trim around the windshield edge, both for safety and looks

I made a brace for my number plate and drill new holes in my Cee Bailey windshield to make it higher. Wind still hits me right below the helmet. Kind of loud. I also made it so it can screw off and on quickly. I'm not really happy with it. When it's on the bike it is boring to ride. Makes it feel like a honda shadow. Any wheelies or steep hills, it hits you in the helmet. I haven't found a screen I really like yet, but maybe the Mad Max mod. I only use it for long trips and when the weather goes below 45 degrees. I would rate it as workable, but not great.

Picture219.jpg

I think you guys are nuts if you think those ittybitty windshields are gonna block a significant amount of cold wind off you on the freeway!

Also, I can't count the number of times I've seen a roadway object kicked up into the air coming for me only to be blocked by my Parabellum. It's tough to dodge those airborne missiles!

People have criticized my big ole windshield as looking stupid and I dig it, to each their own, but I can't help but think how can something transparent/clear be so significant to the looks when you can hardly see it from a little distance?

?

Yes I somehow manage to wheely and climb steep hills without banging my head into it but I do ride like an old man. The bike and I have gone down many times on hills and mud and slick logs and creek crossings but it's all been slow speed drops and I haven't busted the windshield... yet!

Oh yes, add to the picture soft saddlebags and top bag. You can believe I've had some weird looks when I meet other riders out in the woods. haha

Edited by JEB1962
add info

I think you guys are nuts if you think those ittybitty windshields are gonna block a significant amount of cold wind off you on the freeway!?

Don't knock em until you try them. Mine works perfectly. My last 500 mile trip consisted of 400 coastal miles and if you have ever rode Californias hwy 1 you'd know how windy it is. If I didn't have my screen I probably would have turned around and called it a day. That's how much these small one does.

Don't knock em until you try them. Mine works perfectly. My last 500 mile trip consisted of 400 coastal miles and if you have ever rode Californias hwy 1 you'd know how windy it is. If I didn't have my screen I probably would have turned around and called it a day. That's how much these small one does.

+1 on that. It really does make a big difference

The big question is always, does it work for me?

I'm not trying to flame anyone, I will concede the point that something smaller can be better looking (sometimes downright badazz) and better than nothing blocking the wind. I will also admit that I do get pushed around quite a bit because of my big shield, but, it diverts a butt load of the cold wind away from the front of my torso, I've ridden my bike (commuting) into the low teens! Even with the big shield, I still get my 60mpG.

Besides being intolerant of cold wind, I like smoking those cigarillos while I'm riding. The guys behind me comment they are surprised they can smell them even when we are @ 55mpH plus. I do have to slow down to light them tho. My Bic is pretty intolerant of wind. A future mod will be attaching a lighter in the dash somewhere.

If you are most concerned with looks, go with some of the cool looking options, but in my humble opinion, if you want maximum wind blockage for cold weather riding, go big.

I put on the zero gravity RC-51 screen on my S and it works great. The bottom mounts are right against the number plate and the top ones have about 1.25 inch stand off spacers. The zero gravity shield I got was the stock profile one off ebay. I put one on to try to get rid of the bucking of the wind against my helmet. It totally eliminated it all together. Sitting normally, the wind blast off the shield goes just above the top of my helmet. I still feel the wind on my shoulders but the buffeting against my helmet and center of chest is gone!! Well worth the 40 bucks I spent. I need to get better, less prominent hardware, all 4 are hex head metric bolts currently. Probably would look better if I fully blacked them and the washers out.

If you look at jtiv19's shield on post #2, mine is almost identical except mine is mounted higher up, upper bolts are in the top corners of the number plate with the stand offs to make it more upright.

Just uploaded photos

DSC_4054.jpg

DSC_4058.jpg

DSC_4056.jpg

Edited by subeng

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I happened to have the OEM screen for a DL1000 just hanging around, so I chopped the bottom off of it and mounted it to the headlight cowling with well-nuts... It takes the windblast completely off my chest (but not my helmet...). Looks pretty good too! I'll post pics later...