Sign in to follow this  

Whts wrong with this picture?

Hello All,

Just installed more parts on my project '05 KX250 and lookie here... Yes, 114 links and the 51 tooth sproket hits the chain block mount and the chain is still to tight! Anyone wanna guess whats up here? No I havent actually counted the links but still the sproket shouldnt his the block even if it was all the way forward, should it?

new1.JPG

new2.JPG

new3.JPG

Better start counting. Regardless if it should hit or not; it does, and you will need a longer chain. I have never had any of my bikes rear wheel adjusted all the way in to see if it hits, but like you, I would assume it shouldn't! However, if you had a smaller sprocket on it, it might not hit. So if the stock sprocket was say a 48 or 49, it probably didn't hit.

13/51 w 114 links... that is stock and it's not all the way forward (second pic shows about another 1/4" to go). I think I better start counting cause that mail order place that I got such a good deal on the chain and sproket set dorked me!

Edited by jim9006

You have it too far forward. Just move it back to at least the stock position.

It appears that his chain is too tight and therefore cannot be moved back at that moment. Not a long enough chain for that sprocket on that bike.

Ok, I just counted all links and the teeth on both sprokets.. Results are 13/51 and 114 thats correct for a stock 05 KX250. Next question is since I bought this as a basket case and many parts in the box were not even for a 05 KX250 what are the odds that the swing arm is from another bike?

It would have to be the stock swing arm if your axle slides through,cause I believe they wnet to the larger axle in 03.Correct me if i'm wrong. I have the same bike and yours appears to be the same. Are you sure 114 is stock? I would go down and count mine But I run 14 51 which is a longer chain. Just a tip,ALLWAYS buy a few links longer than you think you need.You can allways remove them if needed,little more of a pain in the butt to add.

i always buy 120, no matter what. i like to customize where my rear axle ends up, its only a few dolars more, and this doesnt happen

Stock is 114 for the 2003 - 2008 KX250's. EDIT: The manuals show that it is, but that is not right!

Can you show some pictures of the bike in general or not so zoomed in on the rear sprocket area??

Edited by KDXGarage

my 01 did the same thing going from 13/48 to 13/51. i just cut a small notch in the guide block.

I have the service manual and it does say 114 links. Also the chain and sproket came as a kit and the package also says 05 KX250. I guess I going to have to find another 2 links of chain... Crap where the hell am I'm going to find 2 links.. Grrrrrr....

new4.JPG

Jim, the bike looks great! I'm not running that dinner plate of a sprocket anymore so I can't help you there. I can measure the swingarm if you think yours is wrong. I can tell you that when I went from a 51 to a 48/49 I did remove a link. And I'm using a chain from a 2000 KX250.

BTW - can you give me the part number/where you got those shroud graphics? Thanks.

EDIT: Just found this

92057-0086 CHAIN,DRIVE,DID520DMA2SDHX116L

Kaw lists the chain under the "Rear Hub" heading. 👍

Thanks Guys, I've decided to send the chain kit back and buy separately. The bike is being brought back to stock and in "as new" condition as I can get it. I bought this as a basket case that the previous owner was going to do the same but realized it was too far gone. He bought it from a guy that was parting it out and had already sold the wheels, tank, radiators, seat, etc… Oh, and the motor was grenaded as well. What I got for $500 was a title, frame, swingarm, forks, shock, blown motor and a brand new set of plastic. Oh, and some parts that didn’t belong to the bike. Everything else has been bought from e-bay, Rockey MTN, Kawasakipartsnation, or scrounged from my ‘99’s spare parts bin. Needless to say the cost so far is over 3k. and I don’t even have radiators yet. But the bike will be like new when done.

Jim

P.S. Jeekinz: Rocky Mountain ATV*MC - Factory Effex OEM Shroud and Tank Graphic 2005 Style

Fits: 2005, KAWASAKI, KX250

Our price: $35.99

Part# 1091680003

Hmm!

Mine was bought new from a Kawasaki dealership (and it still has the stock chain - a benefit of not getting to ride much 👍 ), so let me go count links on mine...

WOW!! 116!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Maybe you can send the chain back to where you bought it, since they packaged it as a kit.

Thanks for educating me on how long of a chain to buy. I appreciate it.

I still would like to know why Kawasaki would allow a design flaw like that to slip through. I'm going to take you up on your offer Jeekinz .. If you would be so kind as to measure the distance from the center of the front pivot to the tip of end of the arm I would be in your debt. I'm headed out to the garage to measure mine right after lunch.