Sign in to follow this  

ok, so the 125 bug bit me again.

and i want a 125 again. my yz400f is a blast, but sometimes it's a bit too much and i just want a light and nimble bike i can thrash on. suzuki makes my favorite handling bike so i want an rm! however, when riding my friend's supposed 1998 today one thing i noticed is the motor was piss weak and it had the most narrow powerband. i know a 125 is much different from a 400, but i've rode a lot of 125s in my time and this motor just sucked. it felt to pull strong in the mid range coming into the top and yet still seemed to fall flat on its face up top where i was expecting it to scream.

so, what the whole point of this thread is for what year is the best rm125 in your guy's opinion? handling and good suspension always takes priority over a good motor for me, since anyone can make a bike go fast. however, i don't want a totally anemic motor like my friend's 125 felt like it had. a kx100 had more nuts and his bike was freshly rebuilt by a reputable shop so it's not missing out on anything.

Edited by CRF100biker

03+ rms are good, only minor revisions done to 04 05 and 06.

a yz400 is a heavy heavy bike. i've ridden a 426 and a few 400s and was more impressed with a 250 4 stroke. those early year yzf's are experimental. bad handling and wicked doggy.

try a 03+ RM 125, or a rm-z250 if ud like more control and ease to ride.

id go 05 and up RM 125. longer rods, scream on top, nearly bulletproof.

03+ rms are good, only minor revisions done to 04 05 and 06.

a yz400 is a heavy heavy bike. i've ridden a 426 and a few 400s and was more impressed with a 250 4 stroke. those early year yzf's are experimental. bad handling and wicked doggy.

try a 03+ RM 125, or a rm-z250 if ud like more control and ease to ride.

i will never do the 250f thing again. while my yz250f i had was great, it was far too much maintenance and in the end wasn't worth it.

as for the 400 i love it. i wouldn't say it's bad handling, it's just very different from any other bike. instead of dragging your bars through a corner with the bike screaming you'll swing the rear end around the corner with a flick of the throttle and torque out of it. that's why i want a 125 again though, i miss dragging my bars with the engine going full song. i'd like a rm 250 if i wanted another fast bike, but i don't. the 400 can be my go-fast ride, the rm will be my play-thing.

i'm thinking of also even looking back to the early 2000s models. i've done some research and people say that they liked the 2001 models too? i sure wish i never threw out my old MXA's they had all the bike shoot outs in them and their opinion seems to match with mine pretty closely.

everywhere else also reports that the '98 did indeed have a weak motor. good to know i wasn't imagining things.

better yet what is the best years to avoid? what years has stupid designs, or only had designs used for one year, or were hard to get parts for, etc?

Or consider a CR125. Plenty of them around, and cheap. 02's and newer have great handling, great brakes,and still look good even at 10 years old. You'll have to open up the intake and let it breathe, but they're a lot of fun.

I was gonna say get a cr as well but thought id be hanged. I love my rm's but the cr motor is tough to beat. It just has so much more useable power compared to even a built rm. They are harder to handle well though. I like my weaker rm's in the woods and the cr i run in open ground. Id also probably try to get a newer 03+ rm if your looking and nearly any year cr will work good.

Avoid 98-00. the internal waterpump is a real pain, you have to split the cases for the seal. also, 03 and under RMS require holes drilled in the piston to ensure the bridge is lubricated correctly.

i miss my 03 rm 125 i traded it for a 99 rm 250 and its waaaaay different...in good and bad ways the power of the 250 is sick sick sick and was to much at first but once i tuned it in i love it but that 03 125 felt so much lighter and easier to ride i just wanted that pull power more more more something the 125 would take alot of cash and work to match the bigger bikes... i would say the 03 125 was a good bike and it loved to be rode hard my buddies 98 yz 125 felt alot faster though...???? my 2 cents

i miss my 03 rm 125 i traded it for a 99 rm 250 and its waaaaay different...in good and bad ways the power of the 250 is sick sick sick and was to much at first but once i tuned it in i love it but that 03 125 felt so much lighter and easier to ride i just wanted that pull power more more more something the 125 would take alot of cash and work to match the bigger bikes... i would say the 03 125 was a good bike and it loved to be rode hard my buddies 98 yz 125 felt alot faster though...???? my 2 cents

yamahas ride like trucks, but they have real strong engines. the reason the 03 RM 250 pulls so hard, is because the head is a YZ 250 clone.

in my opinion;

Suzuki, handles the best, head shake at high speeds due to the extreme angle of the downtube. strong engines, screamers. good mid to high.

Yamaha, strong low and mid range, great engines. handle poorly. somewhat stable at high speeds.

Honda, handle good, light weight aluminum frame, weak motors. on off power. good high. zero head shake.

Kawasaki, strong mid to lower high power, on off power. handle decent, front end likes to push. low head shake

KTM, updated, high power output, strong engines, weak suspension. bad ergo, good high end. moderate headshake.

my boy has a 93 cr125 we just went through the engine. replaced lower and topends. and with my big a** on it at 240lbs this thing still rips. and i'm no slouch, raced mx for yrs. suspension is pretty good too. specially for him hes only 145lbs so i know he'll be tearin it up on the dirt.