Engine size?

hello everyone! i am a new comer here and need some advice in the 2 stroke world. i am currently selling my yfz 450 and next year i am going to be in the market for a 2 stroke dirt bike (absolutely scared out of my mind from the cost of engine repairs on a 450 4 stroke!). im a big, tall 14 year old (5'8 and 170lbs) and as you may know, the yfzs are big machines. therefore i like speed and ease of riding. i mostly ride trails and some sand pits here and there and when i get a dirt bike, i will be doing practice sessions at tracks and maybe a few races.

i need some help with choosing an engine size for a bike. i am inclined to a 125 because of the size and power but am not sure if i should go with a 250? mostly looking at yamaha and ktm since they still make 2 strokes and are newer models. not looking to be in the ground in a coffin or in a wheelchair for the rest of my life due to a 250 being too big for me so i would like some input!

hope to hear of something soon!

uh, since when is it expensive to repair a 450? if anything my 400 has been a hell of a lot cheaper than my 250f. i don't run the 400 nearly as hard as i did my 250f (if i did that i would've impaled myself on a tree forever ago), thus the 400 has lasted a lot longer. it hasn't even needed the valves adjusted in 13 years. the 250f required constant attention. that might change at the end of this season though.

what bike are you coming off of? what type of riding do you want to do? what's your experience level?

imo, a really reliable 4-stroke is the way to go to save money. yz400fs and yz426fs are known for being rock solid reliable when taken care of properly. mine has never given me an issue at all. starts 1st kick when hot and 2nd kick when cold every single time. has never left me stranded except for when i run out of gas lol. then again, i maintain that bike carefully and all the time. dare i say it's my favorite bike ever? maybe.

however, if i were you i'd be looking for a 250 2t with the limited info you provided us with.

im coming off if a yfz 450 race quad. its an 05 and there are some issues with it. when i purchased it i didnt know jack about race engines. so if i can sell it for what i payed for it and put into it and break even, im hitting the 2 strokes. im not saying engine maintenance is hell for the 4 strokes, but for a used machine, especially mine, no thank you!

so a 250 would be a good bike to get on?

You haven't said what your price range is, that's gonna determine the answer you get. A 250 2 stroke will have more power than your 450 r-chariot, but not a massive amount more. I happen to think that 250s are easier to ride than 125s based on the power characteristics; both are the same size bike, though.

my price range is anything lower or around $3,000. the first time i tried riding a 2 stroke was my friends 85 and that thing was quick. had plenty of power to bring me flying around corners and up hills. but is there more power to be had with a 125 or 250 because of my size? im just taken back at those 250s. they seem like they would be too big for me.

Lots of good used bikes in the $2000-3000 range, CL is full of them and very good deals right now. I just picked up an 03 CR125 with about 20 hours but a bit thrashed for $1100. I spent a few bucks on bars, levers and plastic and it's a new bike again.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a 2000 or newer YZ250, but 06 and up are supposed to be fantastic. Should be able to find a nice late model one in the 3K range.

I never rode a dirtbike in my life besides a pepboys 50cc china special. Bought an 01 yz250 for $1000 in July. I'm in love. You'll get use to it. Just take it easy and don't ride out of your comfort level. One thing is for sure, you can't be a dead weight and just sit on the seat.

250 or 125? Depends how good of a rider you are on a two stroke.

I'm 6'4'' 225lb and LOVE my 125. There's nothing like screaming a 125 past the big bores on the track. Sure, it's not easy, but it's fun. I have a CRF450 and when I want to have genuine fun and feel like I'm 16 again, the 125 is coming with me.

a 125 will give you a run for your money, and they're fun, a dime a dozen (used atleast) and you can haul on them, my friend just got one (he's about your size,175-190ish) and he still rides it and it rips pretty hard for having a big dude on it.. if you can't find a 250 2t you like, also consider a 200 ktm... or 150.. ?