Sign in to follow this  

Quick fix to stripped thread?

While installing my waterpump cover I managed to strip the threads of the hole the coolant drain bolt feeds in to. I have a race this weekend and only have a limited amount of time to fix this. As such, I will be unable to remove the outter engine cover to drill and tap a new hole. Do I have any other options to get me by this weekend? Bike is an 09 ktm 250xcf

ride with no coolant....if your fast enough the air will cool the head down.....

obviously joking, but i dont think theres much else to do. Is the bolt still in the hole? is it leaking?

ride with no coolant....if your fast enough the air will cool the head down.....

obviously joking, but i dont think theres much else to do. Is the bolt still in the hole? is it leaking?

I had the outter engine cover off so there is currently no coolant in the engine. However, im sure it will leak since this particular waterpump bolt is the drain hole. I thought about wrapping the bolt in teflon to get me by but was unsure. It spins at the very end of tightening it.

you could try jb welding it, but it's very messy and no guarentee it will hold. Specially if you kick it while riding or crash

A Heli-Coil will fix it, and better than new. A lot of machine shops and some NAPA stores have various size kits on hand.

Hmm, if you're out of time to fix it right with helicoil or larger thread/bolt, I guess I'd use that bolt to pack a hunk or 2 of JB weld in there, then I'd shoot some WD40 on the bolt, wipe off the excess, coat the bolts threads again with a JB weld Booger, and very gently snug it up . Next morning, very gently snug that bolt up a little more (You can because you used WD40 as mold release to keep the JB from sticking to the bolt).

Me? I'd order the helicoil kit from McMaster Carr, stay up too late and repair the threads the best way, and cheat on the gasket with Permatex

That's just me

JJ

AHA! A couple Helicoil guys besides me are all over this. :-) I think this guys bolt is 4" long or more though and there's no way for him to run the STI tap drill or tap without getting one half of the case out of the way first. Right?

AHA! A couple Helicoil guys besides me are all over this. :-) I think this guys bolt is 4" long or more though and there's no way for him to run the STI tap drill or tap without getting one half of the case out of the way first. Right?

The bolt is about an inch long and does not thread into the inner engine case.

I actually have helicoils but from what i understand, i must drill and tap the hole regardless to use the insert. I will eventually pull the case and do so, but i am trying to get by for the weekend

load a drill bit up with grease. and drill a new hole, do the same with the tap. loac it with grease and tap a new hole. that way no big shavings will get into your cooling system.

if its purely temporary, why not just use a generous amount of liquid engine gasket (like yamabond or red atv) to seal her up

I still think some jb weld on a greased up screw will be the best then you just do your permanate fix the same but with a bit more drilling after.

if its purely temporary, why not just use a generous amount of liquid engine gasket (like yamabond or red atv) to seal her up

I would go with this route. Obviously, a helicoil would be best. I would lean away from JB Weld for something going in the covers or cases, just in case it sticks permanently. I have had good luck with rigging up different concoctions of liquid gasket, teflon tape, Yamabond, duct tape, etc.

Just another option, if you will need to re-drill eventually for a helicoil, go to the next size English tap. I had the oil drain plug strip on my kid's orange thing. I went up to 7/16-20. It wasn't perfect, but I wrapped the new bolt in Teflon tape each oil change and had no more problems.

a little longer bolt. I've had luck with this before, sometimes the threaded hole is deeper than the bolt. Maybe not on a drain hole though but worth a try.

I bought a Asian Vespa and they put small pieces of aluminum cans around the threads and screwed them in. The aluminum squeezes in the holes. Not sure I would do this, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

JB weld is porous, so not a good fix for a water repair. I would use a good gasket material if its tempory.