Sign in to follow this  

Chain adjusters - whats average ???

Im going thru my still new too me DRZ400s, im finding odd things.. at least I think they are odd... that suggest that the mileage on the odo isnt accurate. One of those things is the settings on the chain adjusters. The mileage is just a little over 3500 and I had to set the adjusters to 5 to set the slack (1.6 - 2.0) That seems like the chain is mostly used up??? It looks decent as do the sprockets... So im wondering if anyone can chime in and tell if 5 is "normal" for 3000 - 4000 miles ??? Ive mostly ridden street bikes and an old DR200 that had a new chain... ive rarely had to set those past the 2 setting and gone up to 25000 miles on a chain/sprocket set.

fwiw i know that this depends on how a bike is ridden.. but the bike looks real clean and the former owner claimed it was ridden only on pavement... and looks it.. for the most part.

Thanks in advance

There is no answer to your question. The "baseline" setting for the adjusters depends on what sprockets are on the motorcycle. Be careful you are not setting the chain too tight. Check for slack when the suspension is compressed about half way. Check to see the slack does not vary as the rear wheel is rotated.

Yep..your adjustment will be further rearward with smaller sprocket combinations.....

Most chains will have tight/loose spots in the course of rotation...Always check your chain slack on the tight spot of the chain rotation....👍