Sign in to follow this  

Cable adjustment after clutch replacement

I just replaced the clutch pack on my '01 CR250 with a new Tusk clutch kit (I'm on a budget). The kit just contains plates only. After installing the kit, I expected my clutch cable to be tight, but instead it was extremely loose. I had to adjust the cable a great deal for the clutch to begin to disengage. The direction I adjusted the cable effectively makes the cable longer, you would think the new plates would require that the cable be adjusted to be shorter. I doubled checked that I didn't leave out any plates..

I'm very confused by this... honda uses a push type mechanism on their clutches but that doesn't explain this.. I did not re-time the clutch arm that's by the flywheel..

Any input is appreciated.. thanks

Now that I think about it more.. maybe this does make sense.. when you pull in the clutch lever the pressure plate moves outward. With new clutch plates installed, the space between the inner hub, and the pressure plate is now greater. That means, with new plates.. the pressure plate, when at rest is in at a distance, from the inner hub that is similar to where it would have been when the clutch lever was pulled in with worn plates. This probably makes no sense to anyone but me..

Can someone share their experience with clutch adjustment after installing new plates..

Yes you have a handle on it. You also should have two adjusters on your cable. Major adjustments at the integral adjuster, minor adjustments at the lever. Normal free play is 10-20mm at lever tip. Some people say adjust the free play to where a quarter will slide between the

Lever and it's perch.

Yes you have a handle on it. You also should have two adjusters on your cable. Major adjustments at the integral adjuster, minor adjustments at the lever. Normal free play is 10-20mm at lever tip. Some people say adjust the free play to where a quarter will slide between the

Lever and it's perch.

Thanks for confirming. I I maxed out the "Major adjustment" then fine tuned with the perch adjustment.