Sign in to follow this  

Street Legal dirtbike conversions in CA

I just got a 2006 CRF230F for my 40th. I want to make it street legal so i can ride it to local trails from my house. I am hearing that it is not as easy as putting a Baja Designs kit on it and walking down to the DMV. Something about an emissions sticker... Any words of wisdom from those who have gone before me???

By the letter of the law it can no longer be done. That option expired in Jan of 2004. However, the DMV likes money and has a hard time following their own directives. Some hit the right DMV and get lucky. A lot don't.

If you really want a plated dirtbike get one that was legally converted before the cutoff or get a bike that has the "on road emissions"" sticker like a KTM EXC or a Husky.

• Like 1

No gaurantees...

Install Headlight, brake switch (mech. since the 230 has rear drum) brake and taillight, blinkers, mirror (left side), horn, dot tires.

Take it in for a brake and light inspection (there is one in every city). They will sign and give you and form. Usually bout $40-50

Take bike either to DMV or Chp for "Vin inspection" (this is also where they are supposed to check for Emission sticker") Free. They will sign and give you a form... If this paper has "US and California" or "US" compliant boxed checked you take your 2 papers into Dmv, pay your lic fee and walk out with plates. If if has one of the other 3 boxes checked, you have a bike to ride on night rides in the many ohv areas California has to offer and blinkers to tell your buddies when your switching trails.

The smart money is to sell the bike and buy a bike that can be plated from the manufacturer.

Any bike not road legal after 2004 is nearly impossible to plate. Save yourself the time and frustration. A search will yield many threads covering this, both in this subforum and the Californis one.

Get a CRF230L, will be a dissappointment to what you have now but plated. You will loose out even if you do get it plated, they will take it away later. #1 rise in sales is in the DS class for this reason. For the same money other makes are DRZ400, DRZ200, XT225-250. Up the performance scale along with $$ would be Husky, Beta, KTM, Berg and the Yamaha.

• Like 1

Pretty simple, check your emissions sticker. If it reads off-highway or off-highway competition anywhere on the sticker, the DMV inspector will only issue a Green Sticker or a Red Sticker depending upon the VIN/Frame number.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am digging this site! I think I will try my luck with the DMV. I will let you all know how it goes...

I have friends in AZ. I have been told I could plate it in there and then transfer the title to CA after a while as a plated vehicle. Has anyone heard of this being successful?

Ok, when you walk into to DMV, request a Dual Registration which is listed in the DMV regulations.

Before they do anything, they will probably inspect your bike. This is where they will note the wording on your Emissions sticker. If it says off-highway, they will only issue you a "Green Sticker" for OHV areas. You will not be issued a plate.

If you don't plan on riding any OHV areas then don't get the sticker and pay fees for areas you won't be using.

Before you spend any money on that bike, most good quality lighting kits are around $500.00, make sure it can be plated.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am digging this site! I think I will try my luck with the DMV. I will let you all know how it goes...

I have friends in AZ. I have been told I could plate it in there and then transfer the title to CA after a while as a plated vehicle. Has anyone heard of this being successful?

Unfortunately they got us by the short hairs there to:banghead: . If you bring in a D/S from another state you have to be able to show residency and verifiable mileage to the tune of 1800 miles from that state, if I remember correctly . Who knows you may get lucky, some have . Better off getting one thats already plated . Lots out there on C/LIST.

This emissions sticker everyone is talking about, is it the black sticker on the rear fender? What if i take it off? I am thinking if I put the lights, blinkers, mirrors, etc... on and then go to the DMV have a better chance than showing up as is and asking the question. I got the bike as a gift and don't have the $$ to buy another one. I need to make this work.

Actually, leave the bike as is and take the bike to DMV. Let them tell you what you need rather than spend money on a light kit. If you make it past the initial inspection, they will have a list of check-offs for you to complete.

You want a "Dual Registration". Look it up on-line for California.

If this was a done deal, you could have all your paperwork and get the "Green Sticker" and "Plate" in one trip, but in your case you don't know what they are going to tell you.

They have codes in their computer from when the bike was first registered.

• Like 1

This emissions sticker everyone is talking about, is it the black sticker on the rear fender? What if i take it off? I am thinking if I put the lights, blinkers, mirrors, etc... on and then go to the DMV have a better chance than showing up as is and asking the question. I got the bike as a gift and don't have the $$ to buy another one. I need to make this work.

Couple things.... read this (my post from CRFsOnly);

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:47 am

Funny thread...

I just plated two bikes yesterday.

HOWEVER... KNOW, that there's about 3 false rumors in this thread alone.

1st rumor;

You DO need an emission sticker, showing you are compliant. Green stickered bikes, come with a sticker, that says the bike is NOT compliant.

(read the very bottom of the sticker... and you'll see what I mean)

If your bike contains a sticker, showing you ARE compliant with CA ON HIGHWAY Emissions Standards, then yes... you can obtain a plate, legally (this has never changed)

2nd rumor;

Saying the bike is for "dual purpose" is not a trick, or does not get you any further down the road of being plated. I ONLY plate bikes, as ON ROAD only! No more green sticker (it's not needed).

3rd rumor;

CHP can NOT do the verification process needed to get your bike plated. The process, is to get the bike inspected, and a form 343 (Vin Verification) filled out completely. That form, is your golden ticket. If the DMV does allow a CHP form through, they've screwed up... and you could possibly lose the plate (if DMV catches their own mistake)

4th comment;

Using a registration service to "plate a bike" that is normally deemed not-platable is another means of people obtaining CA plates. This is actually true in some cases, because a DMV-Service is certified by DMV, and the 'service' will need to be able to do a VIN Verification (reg343). However, they are possibly risking their certification, and or worse (jail time and/or hefty fines)... if caught plating a bike that is NOT emission compliant. Specifically if the bike had never been seen by the DMV-Service and all paperwork was done "Sight Unseen".

What items do YOU need? (same 'items' a DMV-Service would need) I'll spell it out for you (I have the entire chapter, straight from the DMV bible itself... which explains this process for DMV employees - refer your DMV rep to Chapter 13, section 13.050 to 13.055);

1. - Title IN YOUR NAME with current address (no lien holder)
  2. - Current registration
  3. - 256 form, stating you read and are compliant with CHP888
  4. - 256 form, dealer processed, stating you are compliant with brake and light inspection.
  5. - You have current insurance coverage on bike, and proof to show DMV rep.
  6. - 343 form, completed by a DMV representative and stating that your bike "complies with US FMVSS" and "Vehicle meets US EPA standards and California Standards". (this form cannot be done by CHP or any other LEO - It is ONLY valid if completed by a DMV technician, per DMV Guidelines)
  7. - Eventually, a motorcycle license (M1)

There... now you got it.

Once you have the above. And are at DMV, know you will;

- Surrender your green sticker (if not dual-registration. Or tell them you'll discard it)

- DMV will take your Title, and issue you a new one with current plate/tag info (4-6 weeks for delivery)

- DMV will hand you a license plate, tags, and new registration

... and please, stop with the rumors of green stickered bikes being plated under a "dual purpose" theme.

... and please stop posting threads that ask "how to" plate a bike that is not legally platable. You think, DMV and CARB don't read?? They do!

Some links to help you through this crisis;

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/offhighway.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvdualreg.htm

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/cyclecert/cyclecert.htm

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2007/honda_ofmc_um0030182_449.pdf

Happy trail hunting!

• Like 1

Unless its your lucky day , The minute they enter the VIN it will pop as a ( off road only ) bike . .................

That's (somewhat) incorrect.

The only thing DMV checks when going in for a plate, from the VIN... is the eighth position of the VIN. If it's a C, or a 3, it's deemed NON COMPLIANT and never to be plated. Bikes that are red stickered, are N/C. Also, the title will have a red box in the upper right corner of your title, if that box has the N/C stamp... your never going to be able to plate the bike.

Thanks for all the good info Jonny. I checked my VIN and the 8th digit is not a C, or a 3. By the way, are you talking about the 8th digit from the right or the left? Where do i go to get the brake inspection? I am still holding the bill of sale and title in the previous owner's name. Should i combine going for the plate with transferring everything into my name or transfer it first and then go after the plate?

I checked my VIN and the 8th digit is not a C, or a 3. By the way, are you talking about the 8th digit from the right or the left?

Note that all green sticker KTM's lack a C or a 3 in the 8th digit (going from left to right). The problem is that they lack an on-road compliant emission sticker.

Your 3rd rumor is not correct. CHP have the final say on verifactions. Once signed by CHP it could be nuclear powered and still get a plate

3rd rumor;

CHP can NOT do the verification process needed to get your bike plated. The process, is to get the bike inspected, and a form 343 (Vin Verification) filled out completely. That form, is your golden ticket. If the DMV does allow a CHP form through, they've screwed up... and you could possibly lose the plate (if DMV catches their own mistake)