Sign in to follow this  

What to bring on a trail ride?

I take my bike tool kit, a front tube, microfiber towel and a couple cliff bars in a fanny pack. Tire Irons zip tied to subframe in the airbox. I take a 2L water bladder backpack, and my eTrex GPS with a waypoint of the truck if I don't know the area.

your bike, shit paper,water and a power bar.

This, 8, 10, 12 sockets with T-handle and combination wrenches, one of those folding allen wrench tools, zip ties, phillips and flathead tips on sockets to go with the T-handle and a small camera in a ziplock bag. Oh and since I have the Tubliss system front and rear I carry a tire plug kit and CO2 inflation system. Much much smaller than a tube and irons and can fix a flat in about 2 min.

Lol!!! That was great!!! On such a short ride If I'm familiar with the terrain I bring my wallet in my Hydro pack just in case something really bad happens.Now as the miles increase (30+) I add tools that tighten things that get loose like hand guards,controls,bars,plastic,extra chain link,ect.Now 50+ miles is a hole different ball game with tools,tubes,gas,food,two-way radios,ect.👍

What kind of terrain?
Probably a more important detail than the length. Some places we've ridden a hundred miles in a weekend with almost no tools, only supplies were a few bottles of water and a wad of TP.

Another place is maybe five miles from one end to the other and I pack a lot more. The ONE TIME I needed a simple flat head screw driver and didn't have it - ended up pushing the bike back out and was seriously considering leaving it behind.

Edited by Smacaroni

I have a tactical SWAT vest with Velcro pouches all over. Very comfortable and don't even notice it while riding. Anyways, take note of what tools you use while working on your bike doing normal maintenance such as sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc etc etc. Buy a second set of those tools that you use the most andnpack them with you. If you can find smaller versions of those tools. For example, instead of a ratchet and sockets just purchase a small kit. Instead of four or five separate screwdrivers then purchase a screwdriver that you can change out the tips. A folding metric Allen set is a must as well. Most importantly is to inspect your bike the night before you go out. If you have stripped out Phillips (j.i.s.) screws then replace them with Allen head fasteners. You can pack every tool you have but the only tool you'll need is the one you didn't pack

I go light on the tools. I just have the basics...i'm not going to pull the head or take out the oil drain plug on the trail, lol. I carry other stuff to improvise with like duct tape, safety wire, zip ties, quick steel, and I carry a bicycle tire pump and a tow strap now too. If your bike is in good shape and you dont fall, you most likely arent going to break anything.

Enough gas & enough water are probably the most important things.

I keep my bike in good shape to start with and carry a multi tool, plug/plug wrench, some zip ties, small pair of pliers, and a coupla rags in a fanny pack. 98% of the time I've used anything in the fanny pack, it's been on someone elses bike. On the KDX, I've had a shroud bolt come loose, and fouled a plug one time, in 4 years.

An ounce of preventive maintenance before the ride is worth 200lbs of tools on the trail.👍

What kind of bike? I usually pack water, tube or patch kit, a dual pump (CO2 or hand pump), tire spoons (safety wired to my handle bars), first aid kit, food (power bar), space blanket, multi purpose tool (mine has an adjustable wrench as part of it), sockets, screw driver, safety wire or zip ties, duct tape, small flash light, compass and ID with emergency contact info. Since I ride a 2 stroke I also bring a spare spark plug. I recently had to do a carb tear down on the trail and have had to do a few tire changes on friends bikes. I try to make it as compact and light as possible, but cover all the bases. put as much as you can on the bike.

beer, weed, cigarettes and maybe some wicky in case it gets dark. oh yeah and a lighter.

+1 on this list. Nothing like slinging mud and wipeing on your boxers.

Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.

Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.

its not like we needed all that for the trip. but once you get locked into a serious drug collection... the tendency is to push it as far as you can..