what wheels will fit?

i have a 2005 dr650 and i want an extra set of wheels to have my dirt setup on. its hard to find a used set for cheap. i really am looing for a cheap set so i was wondering if any older or more common wheels would match up. this noobie is looking for a little help. thanks fellas

you might do a little more research on it because I think some of the years might be different. I bought one off eBay that I think was a 93ish with a cush drive that fits.

edit:

I see you said you have a DR200 as well, I think they might fit too, just pull them off your bikes and see if they do ?

Edited by -Jake-

Ok here are my notes taken from other posters in threads here and on DR Riders.com. NONE of this is my original work, all of it has been copied for my own understanding.

What years work:

the years/models one would look for is dr250se 90-95 or 350se 90-96 (except for the 'T' model). The 'regular' 250/350 hub is not cush, as should be obvious in views of the sprocket side of the wheel. FWIW, the cush hub is part# 64111-15D00, stamped 15D in one of the cush indentations. I compared the OEM parts diagrams against that of my 08dr650 and found that the only different parts that matter are the cush bumpers. So a guy should be able to use all the spacers and bearings from the 650 wheel, for the 250/350 wheel and only need to order the new cush bumpers.

Specifics about mounting the DR250se/350se 18" wheel on the DR650

it was a straight swap. the cush-drives are a little different & should be kept with the matching hub.

the dr650 disc must be used but the hub is counter-sunk before the threads begin. so i used the button-head bolts that were on the 18 inch wheel, no issues. all spacers look identical

What I got out of the first two posts I quoted lead me to research the OEM part numbers of the hubs, cush drives, bumpers, bearings and rotors. It is my current belief that the DR650 cush drive can be used with the DR250/350 SE hub if the DR250/350 cush rubbers are used. I will be able to verify later this week when I attempt just such a configuration.

Brake rotor issues, fixes and ideas

The 350 had button head allen cap screws. The 650 has special flat head allen with a shoulder. they fit the 650 rotor perfectly but the shoulder is longer than the thickness of the rotor so the bolt is tight before the head contacts the rotor.
you'll need to drill a step on the rotor bolt holes and install the DR650 rotor, but otherwise it's bolt on.
How about flipping the disk over and mounting it with the flat side of the holes facing outward?
the rotor from the 650 rim fits on the 350 but I had to flip the rotor around because of the bolts. bolt holes on the 350 are not counter sunk like the 650

What I am going to attempt first is the DR650 rotor in its normal orientation using brand new DR250/350 SE rotor bolts. If this fails me I will attempt to flip the rotor and test fit with the old DR650 rotor bolts (no way am I going round the block with used rotor bolts though...have to order new ones if this is the only way it works)

Brake rotor cross compatibility

you can also use the smaller 250/350 rear disc with the 250/350 caliper holder. dr650 caliper will fit. you can mount a shark fin on it also.

This last part is mine, just a raw numbers comparison of tire sizes and how they affect the "ride height"

17" Wheel = 431.8mm

18" Wheel = 457.2mm

Stock wheel and tire height 120/90/17 (108mm sidewall*2 + 431.8mm wheel) = 647.8mm (stock)

Michelin T63 120/80/18 (96mm sidewall*2 + 457.2mm wheel) = 649.2mm (+1.4mm total height +0.7mm/+0.03" ride height)

Dunlop 606 120/90/18 (108 sidewall*2 + 457.2 wheel) = 673.2mm (+25.4mm total height +12.7mm/+0.5" ride height)

Pirelli XCMH 120/100/18 (120mm sidewall*2 + 457.2 wheel) = 697.2mm (+49.4mm total height +24.7mm/+0.97" ride height)

Edited by ROMAD

Mounted up the 18" DR350 rear wheel today. Installed fresh bearings, new tire, tube and rim strip (its a 19 year old wheel afterall). Real easy install, used new oem dr350 rotor bolts with the 650 rotor, used the sprocket carrier and wheel spacers from the 650. The sprocket carrier from the 350 looks identical and could be used as well.

Had read I needed the cush drive cushions from the 350 to work right but the 650 cushions seem to fit and work just fine.

This is a super easy swap with only 4 new rotor bolts required (plus any parts you might want to refresh). Very happy with the results.

My donor wheel came from a 92 DR250SE actually....ebay find. Most people dont realize the 250 & 350 share the same wheel. Needless to say the DR250SE wheel was cheaper and easier for me to find. I got my wheel for $59 then bought bearings, rotor bolts, cush drive cushions, rim strip, tube and tire. All in I'd say I have $250 or so into the complete road ready 18" wheel assmembly.

I could prob sell my 17" & break even or better but I'm thinking of having that one relaced with a black Excell rim and selling the refreshed 18" DR250 wheel. Someday.

Just fitted my DR350 wheel to my DR650 today. I used the cush rubbers and cush from my 650, and they're identical. I still need to swap brake rotors, but I couldn't get the DR350 rotor off, so its looking like I will have to weld nuts on or heat it with a torch or both :ride:. Everything else looks good to go and now I have an 18" rear rim. I think I have around $120 in the whole rear setup ? Got it off eBay CHEAP.

It took MAPP gas and a makita impact driver to break those DR250/350 rotor bolts free. The factory bathed them in red loctite! Gotta get the threads over 550f to break them free. Dont waste time with hand tools you will only strip out the heads.

Fwiw my 09 DR650 rotor bolts had blue loctite on them and came free with a 1/2 wrench and a metric allen socket no problems and no heat needed or adult language required ?

• 1 year later...