Checking XR250R engine oil

A few questions about checking the engine oil in the Honda XR250R (particuarly the 2000 era engines).

When the engine is cold, is there any way to confirm that there is enough oil in it to start it and run it? The literature only talks about checking it after running for 5 minutes, but how do you first know that there is enough oil to kick it over?

From what I've read a lot of people claim the 5 minutes of idleing before checking the oil level is not sufficient and instead should either be 10 minutes of ideling or 5 minutes of riding.

After the time has elapsed, and your checking the oil, is it done with the engine still running (like doing the automatic transmission in a vehicle) or straight after killing the engine?

As said, if the engine is cold, ride it for 15 minutes, stop the engine and immediately check the oil. Best way to keep track of the oil level is to check it immediately after the day's ride, then there is no need to check it before the next ride.

The xr's that I've had (an 01 400 and an 04 400) the oil never reads right. I"ll just change the oil, do the proper technique to check, per owner's manual, and will never get an accurate reading; and with the oil was just changed!

Thus I never check the reading on my bike, and don't worry about it as I know I put the right amount of oil in. And, I change the oil every 400 miles, give or take.