Sign in to follow this  

Husky Supermoto

I've been looking for a supermoto bike to ride and play with and there are a few Husky 450s and 610s for sale by me. Is there any major issues with these bikes or anything a person who has never owned a Husky should know or look for good or bad?

Huskys are generally solid great performing bikes. Usually Ez to get parts for and EZ to work on. What bike exactly are you considering and we can give more focused details.

Really I am open to any of them but is there one that is better than the others?

The 450/510 SM's are more fun and sportier but not as versatile or long range comfortable ior geared as tall as the 610. The 510 would be a great race bike the 610 not as much. But, the 610 would be far better to spend the day on kind of thing.

I'm going to look at a 2008 SM510R this weekend guy is original owner but has only put 450 miles on it due to lower back issues from a car crash. It has a "power up kit" and a LED conversion on the tail light and turn signals, and hand guards with bar end mirrors.

What does a "power up kit" consist of I've seen this in a few peoples adds.

The only complaint I had and the reason I sold my SM450R was the close range transmission. It would be great for a city dweller but out in the sticks I really didnt care for it. It felt like I was winding the piss out of it.

I just pick up a KTM 450exc with a wide range trans and I love it. Its mostly my wood weapon and won’t see roads that much thou.

I'm going to look at a 2008 SM510R this weekend guy is original owner but has only put 450 miles on it due to lower back issues from a car crash. It has a "power up kit" and a LED conversion on the tail light and turn signals, and hand guards with bar end mirrors.

What does a "power up kit" consist of I've seen this in a few peoples adds.

Power up kit for the 08 model consisted of an Arrow slip on exhaust, lambda plug (which switches the ECU to a richer fuel curve referred to as the "race map", and O2 knock off plate.

Replace every last fuse on the bike once you get it..the stockers are prone to fractures which will leave you stranded. You will have to do the "Fule pump mod" which is easy and is a very common problem on the 08-10 model EFI model Husky's.

Ask the seller whether the bike has been remapped by a dealer on the I-Beat software, or if it has been tuned with a Power Commander/Autotune.

Keep in mind, the SMR's don't start making their full potential until after the full break in at around 1,000 miles...Then they flat out rip!!!!!

The only complaint I had and the reason I sold my SM450R was the close range transmission. It would be great for a city dweller but out in the sticks I really didnt care for it. It felt like I was winding the piss out of it.

I just pick up a KTM 450exc with a wide range trans and I love it. Its mostly my wood weapon and won’t see roads that much thou.

Asfar as I know, my 08 510 SMR has the wide ratio trans in it.......6th gear will take to well over 100mph (if one were so inclined) with the stock (14/42) gearing. Did yours have 5 or 6 gears? What year?

My fofiddy would do over 100mph in 6th as well. The Husky's 450/510 has a close range transmissions. It’s hard to explain unless you can ride the two different bikes back to back. Don’t get me wrong I loved my sm450r it was like a rocket packed down into a thumper but you can only do so much with re-gearing. For me I am much happier with the wr tran’s and not the brand of bike I ride. The KTM just fits my needs better. If you get the opportunity I would try to ride both.