Sign in to follow this  

Winter riding..

who goes and if so whats the most important thing for protection of the elements?Legal 03 Z e here ty kind sirs!

Brush guards, heated hand grips, good gloves, a big windshield, chaps under coveralls, full face helmet with balaclava. No steel tipped shoes, they are cold magnets.

I ride all winter except when snow or ice is on the road. 👍

I ride all winter. Heated grips and warm gloves are great, but add a pair of oven mitts and your hands will be beyond toasty, even down to 0 (and below!). I rock a balaclava, and honestly the warmest riding gear that I own is a monster pair of Carhart coveralls over my regular clothes.

Slow it down a shade and watch for ice and you're good to go.

I don't ride regularly year round, but I've been known to ride my bikes to work on an occassional clear sunny day in January here in Colorado (usually cuz the cage is getting worked on).

Keep your extremeties warm. It's hard to stay safe and in control when you can't feel your hands, feet and face... more so when it's so cold you're in pain. Balaclavas are the bomb. Snow gear (snowboarding/skiing jackets and pants) is good cuz it cuts wind, but make sure you have armor underneath, just in case.

I wear a fleece under my jacket. Other than that... heated gloves and 'turtle fur' is all I need.

I've ridden in snow on my sport bike, worst part is when you wipe the snow off it freezes!

i rode last winter. my truck broke down in january and i commuted on my DRZ for the rest of the winter.

for my short commute, it was a complete non-issue. i just wore good, warm, moutaineering clothing (with body armor under it) and was fine temp wise. i live in a city and they keep the roads pretty clear, so that wasn't even an issue most of the time. not much worse than riding in rain.

i did hit a spot of black ice a couple times. that made the butt pucker, but i was prepared for the possibility, so i was riding slow enough and was aware enough that i did not go down. just slid a bit like i hit a slick spot on a muddy trail. and there were some days when there was fresh snow on the roads, but those days were actually a lot of fun.

i also took one longer trip...125 miles one way (mostly at around 50mph). the first 80 or so miles weren't bad, but then my core temp started to drop, and i got pretty chilled. never lost feeling or use of my fingers or anything, but i was coooooold...took quite awhile in a hot shower to warm up. again, i was just dressed in quality moutaineering gear. no heated anything, and no wind protection on my DRZ.

my biggest concern was actually the road salt on my bike. it didn't seem to effect much, though, other than a few fasteners getting a bit rusty.

all-in-all, i found winter riding to be a lot of fun. i plan to commute on the DRZ all winter this winter. i think i am going to put studs in my tires this year. i'm also going to do a frozen lake ride this winter and want the studs for that, so i figure i might as well use them all winter.

Do big deal for winter riding here in S.E.Queensland, Australia....

Average temperatures 11-21°C (52-70°F).....:ride:

It was like winter in many parts of Brisbane yesterday!

Got to love this time of year 👍