Sign in to follow this  

Switching from blue to Red most likely, a few questiosn

Sold my yami's and wanting a Honda. I'm buying used. The best condition crf250 I have found so far is an '07, I was wanting newer but this thing has no wear marks from riding, is bone, stock, and still has the original tires, no wear on the seat on the Honda logo, no wear on the case covers on either sides from boots, original grips etc.. so i think its my best deal for my price range. Any special things to look for on the '07's?

Are the valves really that bad? Any other input?

You will need to re-seal the air box right. There's a bunch of posts on here that give you a step by step how to. As long as you take care of this and make sure the filter is well sealed and well maintained, you'll have no issues with the valves. Just as if you were buying a new bike off the showroom floor, take it apart and grease all the bearing and make sure all the bolts are torqued to manufacture specs. All MX bikes feel like new if the bolts are torqued right. It's amazing how different they feel and react if you just tighten them up by hand without a torque wrench.

• Like 1

I recently made the switch as well. From everything I have read, it seems the newer generation ('10-'12) has solved or at least minimized the valve problems. However, I will say that my dad used to ride a 2004 CRF250x and never had a problem...I think as long as you take proper care of these high performance machines and don’t redline the crap out of them, you will be fine. And if the bike looks good and has minimal wear on the frame and engine covers as you mentioned, that probably means the bike was never ridden that hard...

nice thanks for the info guys!

Yea I have known buddy's with some '06's and there's alsted forever even in the dunes, you just see all these posts about short valve life and people replacing them with different valves made form a stronger material etc..

But I take great care of my rides so shouldn't be a problem then. I didnt know about the airbox thing, I will search for that, thank you.

I wanted to get something newer as I said preferable '10 to get the fuel injection, but I'm trying to look at whats in the best condition not just what year I want (made that mistake in the past) and this one looks like it literally has about 15-20 hours on it. Stock 742fa front and 756 rear tire etc..

Thanks again guys, any more info you have keep it coming, I'm a slow MX rider who likes to jump, so I'm not gunna be abusing it too bad IMO.

You also have to take into consideration how many Honda's are out there compared to the other brands, so the "problem" is multiplied. I have a buddy that's putting his kids through college thanks to the KX250f's crankshaft issues. You don't hear so much about it because there are was less out there than Honda's.

I just picked up this 06 for $1800 original tires, plastics, etc

with suspension valving, clamps,wheels,hi comp piston, porting, valve springs, and cam. You can have a pretty sick bike for thousands less.

1-1.jpg