Sign in to follow this  

What do you guys REALLY think about WISECO pistons?

I'm a mix of woods... MX rider. I've been reading some good and a little bad on wiseco top ends here. What is really the picture with wiseco? I rebuilt my first top end in my YZ125 when I was 17 did it with no manual at all and no help. Just reverse engineered it, if you will, and payed attention to everything and put a wiseco top end in it and it ran fine till I was 19...no prob at all. So whats the squak? Post your wiseco experiences:thumbsup:

i chucked a wiseco in my 06 yz250 a few months ago, i havnt ridden overly much since then but theres no extra engine noise from the forged piston etc but i do warm it up a little longer other wise no complaints from me

Wiseco pistons are great. A lot of issues with early forged pistons (expansion rate and amount) gave them a rep for knocking and seizing. I believe much of this was due to the aluminum composition and the grain structure of the forging. Those issues have long been fixed, but the old reputation lives on through bad info on the internet. Most anyone that hears knocking from a Wiseco didn't do any measuring when they did a top end and slapped a new piston in a bore that's worn past it's limits or is barreled out of round.

I've run all sorts of pistons in bikes over the years, stock, Wiseco, Vertex, Pro-X. All it takes is one broken skirt on a cast piston to convert you to forged from then on!

I haven't had any problems with OEM or Wiseco. I feel like the harder surface of the OEM cast stuff is less prone to scuffing, etc. The softer but stronger Wiseco is less prone to cracking. In fact, I've never seen a cracked Wiseco piston that wasn't caused by some other engine failure, or dibris in the engine.

I think if you're the type of guy who replaces your pistons often, then OEM is just fine. If you want to stretch a top end for all your dollars and don't mind the slight power loss from a little longer use, then the Wiseco is good insurance against cracks.

I tend to replace my top ends very frequently. I want that extra compression and the feeling that I have a fresh/tight bike. OEM works fine for me, but I do have a Wiseco in one of my 250s right now and have used several of them over the years.

I've never used a Wiseco, but I can guarantee I will when it is time to change my piston. Just for the customer service they provide on this forum.

If you have a problem, it seems like you post it here and Wiseco replies in a timely manner and takes care of it's customers.

Every company or product will eventually have a defective part, it's how they respond to the problem that speaks to me. Wiseco seems to be quick to act, and do not look for a reason to screw over a customer.

If they keep that up, they have a future customer for life.

I have used wiseco pistons for a long time (20+years) with no complaint.

However, now that I do have an issue with the piston pin placement, costomer service has dwindled very rapidly.

I have been waiting very patiently for their rep to get back to me but that does not seem to be happening.

Maybe the customer service is only lip talk

i have 2 brand new ones sitting here on my desk that will go into my 99 rm250 and into a 2002 yz85 today

I think they are an awesome product.

I've run oem, and aftermarket oem replacements and never had a problem, as long as your using good oil they should all be good.

I put wiescos in, rm250, yz125, yz250, rm65, an currently in my banshee. Great product just make sure break in is good and you will have no problems.

I think wiseco's are as good as oem. Ive pulled a oem piston out of a 250 I bought from my buddy. 40 hours on piston top ring was starting to bend up ring gap was huge. I think there as good as oem pistons in stock plating. When I get my jugs redone by gorr I always run wiseco's. Pro-x pistons are spose to be excelent 2 stroke pistons also.

I haven't ran a Wiseco for nearly 10 years. In Australia we were having alot of seizure issues with the pistons back then (2 stroke engines). They were flogging out little end bearings quickly and heat seizing in a number of different models. I don't know if they have lifted their game since then but I've been using Athena and Wossner. Never had issues with either of them.