Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke questions

Whenever I go to see my family in PA, I always ride dirt bikes with my cousin. I rode his ttr230 plenty of times, and I'm pretty comfortable on it. It feels solid, and like you're really on the bike. The next couple times, his bike wasn't running, and his friend's rm85 was there, so we rode it. The powerband was cool, and it had a little bit of a different feel, but not too much. It wasn't as long and heavy, obviously. But the last time I went there, my cousin had a cr125. I got on it, and it just felt like I wasn't stable, and it was intimidating, even before I was moving. I rode like two laps around his yard, and said I'll stick with the 230. I felt like the riding position was just so different, 'cause it felt shorter, so it felt like I'd fall off the back, and it felt higher too, and the handlebars just weren't helping the situation. So my question is, is that just how 2 strokes are? Because idk if he jacked up the suspension, and maybe put like, bmx bars on it or something, but it just felt so wrong, and didn't inspire confidence at all.

A TTR225 is not a full size frame, neither is a RM85. Both of their suspensions will be on the soft side because one is meant for slower trail riding and the other for kids. The CR125 is a full size framed MX bike meant for people in the 130-160 pound range. Most full size bikes will be more similar to the 125 than either of the others geometry-wise. Power-wise, the 125 is actually on the lower end of the spectrum for full sized bikes.

A TTR225 is not a full size frame, neither is a RM85. Both of their suspensions will be on the soft side because one is meant for slower trail riding and the other for kids. The CR125 is a full size framed MX bike meant for people in the 130-160 pound range. Most full size bikes will be more similar to the 125 than either of the others geometry-wise. Power-wise, the 125 is actually on the lower end of the spectrum for full sized bikes.

What he said. The RM is a mini bike sized for kids. The TTR is mid size trail bike that is designed to be easy to ride for casual riding and to be easy for a newbie to learn to ride on. The CR is a full size MX bike and all full size MX bikes will feel the same, regardless of engine type.

Well I'm not exactly a small guy. 6'1", 170lbs, and the 125 just felt all wrong, but I guess it's just 'cause I'm not used to the feel of it. It probably won't take too long for that to go away. So do the 4 stroke 250s have kind of the same feel, riding position wise, as the full sized mx 2 strokes?

So do the 4 stroke 250s have kind of the same feel, riding position wise, as the full sized mx 2 strokes?

If you're referring to 250F MX bikes like a KXF250 and the like, the answer is yes. They all use the same basic layout, whether they have a 250 or 450 4-stroke engine or a 125 or 250 2-stroke engine. Heck, in KTMs, the frame is basically the same, the only difference is the engine cradle to accommodate the different engines.