XR400 to XR440DS, RE-BUILD

Hi all im rebuilding my old 97 xr4, wich needs a lot of work, i have just had to cut off the swingarm, as the old sezed bolt problem, but lukly i got another arm for £50, next is painting the frame. i will keep you all updated as i move along thanks.

?action=view&current=f2.png

Update, i have done all the engine work, an put the engine back together,

List of jobs; ported head, with Kibbiewhite valve's and springs, 89mm 11.1 wiseco piston with a LA sleeve, wiseco con-rod kit, Hotcames stage 3 cam (not the one on xrs only?)

The xr4 engine is so nice (fun) to work on, why cant more boe made like it??

check the link for updated pictures thanks all

28811055e.jpg

http://imageshack.us/g/200/28811055e.jpg/

Do some research and pick up a Mikuni BSR 42 carb. They came on a polaris predator 500 and I believe a yamaha grizzly 660. I have the exact same mods on my 440 and it down right screams now with this quad vs the edelbrock that it replaced. Also before it goes back together, install a 03-08 CRF450 cam chain. It's beefier than stock and over half the price as stock. Also just noticed your is a 97, to save some hassle, you might want to look into a 99-04 countershaft, countershaft seal, and idler gear bushing, I cant remember if the bearing was updated as well or not. I managed to break two countershafts before I found out that in 99 honda updated the parts.

Do some research and pick up a Mikuni BSR 42 carb. They came on a polaris predator 500 and I believe a yamaha grizzly 660. I have the exact same mods on my 440 and it down right screams now with this quad vs the edelbrock that it replaced. Also before it goes back together, install a 03-08 CRF450 cam chain. It's beefier than stock and over half the price as stock. Also just noticed your is a 97, to save some hassle, you might want to look into a 99-04 countershaft, countershaft seal, and idler gear bushing, I cant remember if the bearing was updated as well or not. I managed to break two countershafts before I found out that in 99 honda updated the parts.

Thankyou for the very good reply, i have been reading up on ThumperTalk for sum time, and already used a CRF450 cam chain, And i got a BSR42 carb from ebay, but i still need to buy jets, i live and ride at sea level, and was thinking starting with 40 pilot, 190 main, (as sum one was on hear) can you tell me what jeting you are useing?

Im going to run the engine in befor i install the new carb:thumbsup:

Cheers for leting me no about the countershafts breaking, wear do they

break? if it snaps, will i need to re-split the crank casses? Or just remove the cluch an cover.

Im looking into it now.?

well i forgot to make a few phone calls today regarding ordering the rest of my rebuild parts.... just wondering what peoples thoughts are: I have bought a new crank with Carrillo con rod fitted, new heavy duty cam chain, new cam chain tensioner, new cam chain guide. About to order an XR's only 10.5:1 430cc piston and was going to get the 36mm Mikuni pumper carb.... since I'm opening the thing up, what would be your suggestions for the head?? I will grind the intake and exhaust ports / headers but wasnt sure if its worth new valves etc. I could always do those later I suppose. Thoughts?

Cheers for leting me no about the countershafts breaking, wear do they

break? if it snaps, will i need to re-split the crank casses? Or just remove the cluch an cover.

Im looking into it now.?

There is an idler gear that sits between the kick starter gear and the clutch basket. The end of the counter shaft has the idler gear on it. They tend to break at the small end of the shaft. in 99 Honda made a new shaft that was 1mm larger on the end and that seemed to take care of most of the breaking.............but I have heard of some 99-04 breaking. I broke 2 withing 6 month and after switching have not had one issue in about 9 years.

If it breaks after your have rebuilt it you are looking at a complete tear down.

There is an idler gear that sits between the kick starter gear and the clutch basket. The end of the counter shaft has the idler gear on it. They tend to break at the small end of the shaft. in 99 Honda made a new shaft that was 1mm larger on the end and that seemed to take care of most of the breaking.............but I have heard of some 99-04 breaking. I broke 2 withing 6 month and after switching have not had one issue in about 9 years.

If it breaks after your have rebuilt it you are looking at a complete tear down.

This is a pain as i have it all back in the frame, and low on cash, but im now on the lookout for a used shaft? (no pun)

It started first kick today and ran very smove, im hoping to take it for a ride tomorow as i still have to fit the brake's:busted:

some new pic's of it yesterday

http://imageshack.us/g/192/pic0022e.jpg/

went out for a 20 mile light ride today went very well, cant bleve how smove the engine is.

going to put about 200-300 miles on it befor i install the BSR42 carb,

then finish runing it in. still waiting for the new seat cover an hand gard's, but its all but there.

sum pic's of it now.

http://imageshack.us/g/835/pic0078.jpg/