Sign in to follow this  

Seeking ALL DR Knowledge!!

Hi,

New to this Forum thing so might be a bit frustrating to some of you. So here it goes.

I have a 92 DR350. It was originally a dirt model but when i bought it i stripped it completely and started again with the hopes of putting it on the road. The engine comes from a running bike. I bought a wiring harness and all the bits that need to go on the street model. After receiving the frame from the spray shop i started rebuilding the bike. Re-checked the valve clearance making sure the bike was on TDC. The bike didnt want to start in the beginning but after fiddling a bit with the carb i got the bike start. It then didnt want to run properly. As soon as i touched the throttle it smothered(as i would describe it) and then died. The carb was deff my problem. I then purchased a new carb from Jessie at Kientech and installed that. The bike once again did not wanted to start.

I then stripped the bike again and rechecked all my wiring. Everything was in good working order except for the regulator which i then changed. When i get the bike started after kicking for half a day it runs much better. But then it will die and not want to start again.

Im not sure if that is enough in for for you guys but i am OPEN for any help or comments. PLEASE!

Thanks!

What does the spark plug look like? Is it wet?

Since you have a TM33 Pumper carb you can prime the combustion chamber by twisting the throttle a few times before you kick it over.

Which petcock do you have? Have you verified that the float bowl is filling up with fuel?

Open the petcock and then open the little drain screw on the bowl and watch for a steady stream of fuel coming from the thin drain hose.

Other than that it could possibly be a spark, valve lash or timing issue.

Does your decompression lever stay in on it's own after you squeeze it?

The spark plug is new and i have installed a new spark plug resistor and the spark is good . It was not wet when i checked it. Should it b even a little moist?

The routine that i was using to start the bike was like follow. Pull in the compression relieve lever and kick it about ten times. Twist the throttle twice, pull out the choke and then get it on TDC and kick.

I have the acerbis tank, think it is the 16L one. It has(i think) the original acerbis petcock on. I have verified the float bowl does fill up with fuell. I have also checked the float level.The lever doesn't stay on its own everytime i pull it. Maybe every second or third time.

Does your decompression lever stay in on it's own when you pull the lever in and take your hand off of it, no kicking ?

Not everytime. I stays there every second or third time of pulling it.

There are two TDC's on a 4 stroke. You need to have the piston at TDC on the compression stroke when you adjust the valve lash.

Sounds like your valves were adjusted at 180* off, or the decomp linkage needs adjustment.

If your decomp lever is not working properly it's usually because the valves are mis-adjusted.

If the valves are mis-adjusted, the bike wont run right, or at all.