Sign in to follow this  

Riding shoes

My pegs are really tearing up my Nike Shox so I am looking for a new pair of shoes. I know alot of people wear boots but I have to walk around college campus alot so I need something that is comfortable to walk in and wont look out of place. I was looking at the Alpinestars Miglia's but am alittle worried about them getting tore up from my pegs. I also saw the thor 50/50 boots but thought I would look alittle weird walking around in them and didn't think they would be good for lots of walking.

Any suggestions?

If I think I will be doing a lot of walking when I get off the bike, I wear lightweight hiking boots. They are high enough to protect your ankles, and are comfortable to walk in. Some are waterproof. The only problems I've had is that light colored hikers get dirty on top of left boot, from shift lever. Watch out for the super long laces some have, had a long lace catch on left footpeg when I came to a stop and went to put my foot down.

When we bought our DRZs we also bought Thor 50/50 boots. They are actually very comfortable to walk around in. We tend to stop and take breaks on rides and do a little hiking around the rest spot. I've had mine now for over four years and they have held up well. They are the boots that I wear when we dual sport ride.

:thumbsup:

My650r - You might look into some of the hi-top shoes that are marketed for the street bike guys. I would think they would be more comfortable on and off the bike and not look out of place in class.

CoKathy - Ive thought about the 50/50 boots for DS'n. Are the soles of the boots nice and firm? What I really like about my MX boots is I can stand on the pegs all day because the soles are firm. BUT I don't wear them much when I just hop on my bike and have no clue wear I'm going. I'm wondering if the 50/50 would be a lot more firm than hiking boots so I my arches don't hurt when standing?

Thanks!

Alpinestar Tech 2's.

Same sole and foot as the Tech 3's but in a shorty boot.

Metal shank for standing but good feel when walking.

what about some steel toed work boots? The steel toes will save your, well, toes and the thicker soles will help protect your feet while kicking the bike over and also give you way better traction walking and pushing your bike when you're in the dirt. They obviously won't be as comfortable for day to day walking but from someone who wore work boots for years as "shoes" you get used to them pretty quick.

Tennis shoes + motorcycle = bad in a wreck.

When I'm commuting to/from work, or heading out for a quick bite to eat... steel-toe work boots with metatarsal protection. I've had these boots for about 7 years now, been moto'n on them for about two. Been down on the bike twice in them. Tuck the laces into the boot when you go ride.

I'd definitely look for something over-the-ankle, that provides a bit of support. Steel toe won't hurt. Waterproof/water resistant is nice for the wet rides.

I got a pr of the Thor 50/50 boots. They're a good dual sport boot. By that I mean wear them around like hiking boots or hop on a bike and go for a ride. I wouldn't use them for an aggressive DS ride though; that's what MX boots are for.

I ended up getting some hiking shoes. Turns out its my kick starter that is really tearing up the shoes. I am going to try and smooth it out alittle before it does to much damage.