Sign in to follow this  

Old School to now - Photo Journey

Yes, go ahead and laugh, I do...

1974 and my first bike a Honda MR-50, did my firt FTR H.S. on this bike, that race, a boat with wheels would've faired better...

sm1.jpg

two years later, same bike but with some badass plaids and a Fonzy T--oh and my bitch'n pre eight is enough doo...

sm2.jpg

Same day, my 10th bday party, somebody addicted to motorcycles or what (the guy in the silver helmet next to me is still my ride'n partner today).

Bike line up. r-l 1974 MR-50, 1975 XR-75, Trail 50, Kawi 125 (blue).

sm9.jpg

Next up....

Brand new 1977 Honda XR-75. Spent alot time behind a mower around the neighborhood to pay for this, $700+ off the floor.

If it's possible to bond with an inanimate object, with this bike I did, we were one for a few years. I rode her to the ground, cracked the frame, sheered engine mouting bolts, pipes.....on a tight track, people hated me, even the big bikes....relentless. Wish I still had it.

sm10.jpg

sm11.jpg

1980, on a 1977 RM125, 14 years old, thought I was a local mx contender..really I wasn't, but I had no money to prove it 👍

Mixed with all my friends dropping out....got to be work. Now I know, more of a fast tight woods/HS/rec rider.

sm6.jpg

sm4.jpg

And then life led to other 'things' a move, a GF, discovering the GUITAR, jobs etc.....

....but I swore a return, one day.

It 'only' took 31 years....still just as 'fast' and stupidly aggressive, guess the body never forgets and the 'adult' mind shuts off.....I just can't hang that long, pushing it.......kinda sucks. But MAN it feels good to be back....

....it's soo expensive now, with all the 'safety' gear....god I miss head'n out in sneaks without a care....lol

cair.jpg

• Like 2

Pretty cool.

So was it a trend in the 70's to put a single strip of scotch tape on the camera lens?

BTW, I'm younger than you and I've found that expensive gear would have saved me a lot of headache (well, actually ankle-ache) if I had it instead of sneakers the time I needed it.

Glad the other occasions when it would have been useful I did at least have a pair of boots on.

Man, that's awesome ! I'll bet looking at those pics brings back a lot of old memories (KTM pic aside, those are more recent of course). I'm guessing that the OP missed the "without a care in the world" attitude/perspective more than he dislikes wearing all of the new safety gear.

Pretty cool.

So was it a trend in the 70's to put a single strip of scotch tape on the camera lens?

BTW, I'm younger than you and I've found that expensive gear would have saved me a lot of headache (well, actually ankle-ache) if I had it instead of sneakers the time I needed it.

Glad the other occasions when it would have been useful I did at least have a pair of boots on.

lol...nah, that's not analog technology, that's digital, craptastic scanner, basically new at that. 👍

I took a similar break. Started riding in '74 with an old Honda 55. In '75 I bought a Rickman with a Zundapp 125 motor. Then in '76 I bought a CZ 250 and finally in '78 I bought a '78 CR250. I stopped riding in '80 and started riding again last year. 👍

002.jpg

001.jpg

CR250001.jpg

CR250R003.jpg

Man, that's awesome ! I'll bet looking at those pics brings back a lot of old memories (KTM pic aside, those are more recent of course). I'm guessing that the OP missed the "without a care in the world" attitude/perspective more than he dislikes wearing all of the new safety gear.

👍 Different times, ride'n dirt bikes in the 70's, definitely different times, for everyone.

Sweet pics Steve, that CR250 is bad. Dude's that road those, too me back then were 'gods, someday grasshopper I will be as good as that guy, someday', lol. 👍

The 250's and 500's....:ride:

I ended up on a 200 because of that sentiment, my friend kept telling, get a 250, trust me, you can handle it, I was like nah, those are for men, I need to get back in shape first. I love my 200, but I'm reaching into it now for more power...hah.

I was so tempted to go back to Honda for old times sake, but the KTM just 'spoke' to me, still bang'n the 2 strokes.

Love the socks in the 1st picture 👍 Can't believe some of the crap that was hip clothes back then. Sometimes I wish I could go back to my younger years, knowing what I know now, I would have done things differently back then.

Love the socks in the 1st picture 👍 Can't believe some of the crap that was hip clothes back then. Sometimes I wish I could go back to my younger years, knowing what I know now, I would have done things differently back then.
I hated those striped socks. My mom was convinced that she was somehow helping by "making sure they're able to match". I tried hard to show her that white matches everything. And when you lose/destroy one white sock, there's plenty of other ones that match. If it's yellow and green stripes, you're basically done.

Plus I didn't want to take the time to pair them up when it came time to putting them away. But mostly I didn't like the way they looked. Now my socks are all white or all black and I have two pair of argyles to match the most expensive shoes to go with the most expensive suit I own and try my hardest not to wear.

Sweet pics Steve, that CR250 is bad. Dude's that road those, too me back then were 'gods, someday grasshopper I will be as good as that guy, someday', lol. 👍

The 250's and 500's....:worthy:

I ended up on a 200 because of that sentiment, my friend kept telling, get a 250, trust me, you can handle it, I was like nah, those are for men, I need to get back in shape first. I love my 200, but I'm reaching into it now for more power...hah.

I was so tempted to go back to Honda for old times sake, but the KTM just 'spoke' to me, still bang'n the 2 strokes.

Thanks! Loved your pics too! I must have mowed a thousand miles of lawn to buy that bike. It was a big step up from my '71 CZ 250. :ride:

I hated those striped socks. My mom was convinced that she was somehow helping by "making sure they're able to match". I tried hard to show her that white matches everything. And when you lose/destroy one white sock, there's plenty of other ones that match. If it's yellow and green stripes, you're basically done.

Plus I didn't want to take the time to pair them up when it came time to putting them away. But mostly I didn't like the way they looked. Now my socks are all white or all black and I have two pair of argyles to match the most expensive shoes to go with the most expensive suit I own and try my hardest not to wear.

completly off topic, but do you have a big version of your avatar? 👍

Cool pics, I found an entire album from the 60's and 70's belonging to my father, its mostly street bikes, theres a picture of the bike he nearly died on, a open faced helmet he bought a week before for 10 bucks saved him.

Cool thread! I started on a Honda QA50, worked my way up over the years and started racing 125s. Some day I'll try to put together a series of photos like this - it was fun to read through. Thanks for posting!

completly off topic, but do you have a big version of your avatar? 👍

Sure do. It's actually a 'shop of a sticker you can buy on ebay featuring everything from Scooters to Scions. I replaced what I think was a Yamaha Jog with a PW80 silhouette. The PW is my current project (if that link doesn't work, try this one)

dnsyamaha.jpg

Sure do. It's actually a 'shop of a sticker you can buy on ebay featuring everything from Scooters to Scions. I replaced what I think was a Yamaha Jog with a PW80 silhouette.

dnsyamaha.jpg

that is awesome, I want one 👍 but with the silhoutte of my wr instead.

thanks for the "big" picture :ride:

The source on this one isn't as good as the first one, but once shrunken down to avatar sized, you'll never know.

dnsyamahawr2.gif

• Like 1

The source on this one isn't as good as the first one, but once shrunken down to avatar sized, you'll never know.

dnsyamahawr2.gif

far too cool. Thanks