Sign in to follow this  

Anybody know a good machine shop to get gears cut?

I'm on the Baja SAE team at my college and we're looking for a good machine shop to get gears cut for our gear box. Anybody know a good shop for this? I figured I'd ask here since it seems alot of engineers and machinists frequent this board.

If not I'll start calling around.

If you're talking about making a gear from scratch, try Emco in Chicago. I think they will make gears to your spec. If they don't do this, contact someone big into VINTAGE RACE CARS. Many times they need gears that haven't been available for 30 years or more. Having worked for a vintage team a few years ago, I know someone will make gears for you and I'm quite sure thay were US based.

I worked in Indycar Racing as an engineer here in Indianapolis for a few years. We used a small machine shop here that can most likely help you out. The owner/manager/lead engineer has been in professional racing almost his whole life and deals directly with professional race teams almost exclusively. He knows how to get parts made and to you in turnaround times that are unheard of in other industries, plus he is pretty reasonably priced and is a real cool dude.

I will send you a PM

Baja SAE program must have changed from when i followed it while I worked at OSU.. Having another shop design and build your parts was not allowed as i remember it.. That’s kind of the point of the Aero Design® , Clean Snowmobile ChallengeTM , Formula SAE® Series , Baja SAE® Series and Supermileage® competitions.. Yes?

ARTICLE 6: ELIGIBILITY – VEHICLES

A6.1 Student Created

The vehicle and associated documentation must be conceived, designed and fabricated by the team members without direct involvement from the professional engineers, faculty or professionals in the off-road and racing communities.

A6.2 Professional Fabrication Limits

Vehicles which have been professionally fabricated may be disqualified from the competition. If a team does not have access to machine shop facilities, the frame can be professionally fabricated without penalty. Lack of access must be documented (letter from the faculty advisor, copy of policies which prohibit machine shop access, etc.).

A6.3 Kit Vehicles – Prohibited

Vehicles fabricated from a kit or published designs are ineligible to compete.

A6.4 Prefabricated Subassemblies

These rules do not exclude the use of prefabricated or modified sub-assemblies.

Not bashing at all.. I just remember teams doing great work and getting hammered for an unintentional rule violations. Though pushing the rules is what seemed to separate the winning teams from the good teams. 👍

Best of luck with this year’s COMP... the time, motivation and dedication teams put into Mini Baja is awesome.

Baja SAE program must have changed from when i followed it while I worked at OSU.. Having another shop design and build your parts was not allowed as i remember it.. That’s kind of the point of the Aero Design® , Clean Snowmobile ChallengeTM , Formula SAE® Series , Baja SAE® Series and Supermileage® competitions.. Yes?

ARTICLE 6: ELIGIBILITY – VEHICLES

A6.1 Student Created

The vehicle and associated documentation must be conceived, designed and fabricated by the team members without direct involvement from the professional engineers, faculty or professionals in the off-road and racing communities.

A6.2 Professional Fabrication Limits

Vehicles which have been professionally fabricated may be disqualified from the competition. If a team does not have access to machine shop facilities, the frame can be professionally fabricated without penalty. Lack of access must be documented (letter from the faculty advisor, copy of policies which prohibit machine shop access, etc.).

A6.3 Kit Vehicles – Prohibited

Vehicles fabricated from a kit or published designs are ineligible to compete.

A6.4 Prefabricated Subassemblies

These rules do not exclude the use of prefabricated or modified sub-assemblies.

Not bashing at all.. I just remember teams doing great work and getting hammered for an unintentional rule violations. Though pushing the rules is what seemed to separate the winning teams from the good teams. 👍

Best of luck with this year’s COMP... the time, motivation and dedication teams put into Mini Baja is awesome.

so what your saying is that he's breaking the rules of an organized racing series in order to get an edge on the competition?

Never heard of that before... :ride: