Sign in to follow this  

help setting up 05 yz125 for my gf.

Hi my gf has a 05 yz125 and she rides xc with alot of roots, rocks and rougher single track. He weighs 140 and is a mid pack C class racer. I changed the rear spring to a slightly softer per race techs spring calculater it said the front was correct for her. Im having a hard time getting it set up for her though, I have it alot better from where I started with it though. Can any one give me some settings to start with? and what would a good sag measurement be? Thank you. And It has not been revalved, may do that this winter.

The forks need a revalve to be decent in the woods. You'll also want to lower the oil level to around 220 to start off with. The stock springs of .42 aren't correct for a 140lb novice, she would need closer to .40.

Im going to go over the bike and write down all the settings in the next day or two and Ill post them on here.

Ok just got a chance to gett all the settings. All my numbers are clicks from fully turned in. FRorks are 13 compression and 8 rebound. shock is 9 low speed, 1/2 turn high speed, and 12 rebound. Any place seem like it needs adjusted?

Any place seem like it needs adjusted?

as it has MX suspension, you would never be comfortable on single tracks.

as kan3 said, it needs to be revalved

you can try full soft on compression

One of the best and most important thing you can do to the 05 yz fork is set the fork spring preload right ( stock it is -8mm prload , and you ned approx +8mm preload) and get rid of the stock metal band on the mid-valve piston and replace it with a teflon band.

One of the best and most important thing you can do to the 05 yz fork is set the fork spring preload right ( stock it is -8mm prload , and you ned approx +8mm preload) and get rid of the stock metal band on the mid-valve piston and replace it with a teflon band.

How would I add preload? I have some washers that came with the fork springs on my rm is that what those are used for?

PVC of the correct size will work fine. Personally, I found the rear shock rebound to be a little weak and had to stiffen it up quite a bit before I had it revalved.

You got it, PVC cut squarely to the right lenth will do the trick , Yep the rebound stack is a bit light.

and get rid of the stock metal band on the mid-valve piston and replace it with a teflon band.

Can you elaborate on this?

The piston band on the mid valve piston isa metal band that has an outer teflon coating on it . This piston band has a huge gap in it and allows a large area of bleed in both directions . It needs to be upgraded .