Sign in to follow this  

e-85 anyone

So has anyone thought of converting to ethanol. Or does anyone have any thoughts on what's involved? I know ethanol is corrosive to certain materials and an ethanol engine will require more fuel but think of how clean your bike would run.

Suzuki recommends not using ethanol and if you must not more than 10% (which I almost always use). I would think you would ruin your carb unless you emptied it every time you weren't using it. If you don't mind that you might just have to rejet, if your ignition timing will allow it to work. I don't think your bike would run cleaner, and I don't think ethonal is a cleaner fuel, and I am not a fan of ethonal, although I live in Minnesota.

Ethanol is crap!....but I'm pretty sure I've read on here that the Z will run up to 15%... in some states you have no option....

Fortunately here in ID we can still get real gas... but I've ran both with no issues....always run with stabilizer.

I recall one of the E-85 trucks running around here.... I had to ask the guy... so, is it cheaper?... (No).... Does your truck get better fuel economy?..... (No) .... so whats the friggin' point?

Ethanol is crap!....but I'm pretty sure I've read on here that the Z will run up to 15%... in some states you have no option....

Fortunately here in ID we can still get real gas... but I've ran both with no issues....always run with stabilizer.

I recall one of the E-85 trucks running around here.... I had to ask the guy... so, is it cheaper?... (No).... Does your truck get better fuel economy?..... (No) .... so whats the friggin' point?

Go back in time 5 to 10 years and ask an environmentalist.

The friggin point is we grow plants in the US to produce ethyl alcohol.

Ethanol has less energy content than gasoline so it is not more fuel efficient. It takes special tuning to run alcohol (big jets) but when tuned properly it gives great performance.

You get more power using E85 (when tuned correctly) and it decreases reliance on oil.

BUT it costs about the same as regular petrol and you use a lot more of it to do the same job.

You get more power using E85 (when tuned correctly) and it decreases reliance on oil.

BUT it costs about the same as regular petrol and you use a lot more of it to do the same job.

E85 fuel has less energy content and more is needed per unit air to run an engine in comparison with gasoline..hence it's poor economy...

And E85 loves to eat natural rubber parts in fuel systems....There is no way I would put that in my Z's..

E85 fuel has less energy content and more is needed per unit air to run an engine in comparison with gasoline..hence it's poor economy...

And E85 loves to eat natural rubber parts in fuel systems....There is no way I would put that in my Z's..

Same here, luckily it's still relatively rare here.

Goes great in my Nissan GTR though 👍

Same here, luckily it's still relatively rare here.

Goes great in my Nissan GTR though 👍

Yep..Give me BP 98 anytime....:ride:

I am betting that is a turbocharged vehicle...E seems to go well in forced aspiration engines....

Yep..Give me BP 98 anytime....👍

I am betting that is a turbocharged vehicle...E seems to go well in forced aspiration engines....

Yep, twin turbo'ed. But it's back to running with a tune for BP Ultimate now because there's not a lot of E85 around Canberra, and even if there was it would be useless in our stupidly cold winters.

I know ethanol is corrosive to certain materials and an ethanol engine will require more fuel

The stuffs insidious. It eats several different alloys, clogs carbs with a white cottage cheese goo. I have to run a stabilizer in all of my small engines or I am re-building carbs. The Mikuni seems to be more susceptible to ethanol than some other bike carbs, so my answer is a big fat "NO".

I know this is a whole other argument, but I wonder, really... how much diesel is burned to produce a gallon of ethanol, and how much insecticide is sprayed on those same crops? It ain't all green and clean.........👍

The stuffs insidious. It eats several different alloys, clogs carbs with a white cottage cheese goo. I have to run a stabilizer in all of my small engines or I am re-building carbs. The Mikuni seems to be more susceptible to ethanol than some other bike carbs, so my answer is a big fat "NO".

I know this is a whole other argument, but I wonder, really... how much diesel is burned to produce a gallon of ethanol, and how much insecticide is sprayed on those same crops? It ain't all green and clean.........👍

Let's not forget the other ethanol benefits of turning food fuel into food and thus driving up commodity price with an end result of starving those in third world nations.