Sign in to follow this  

Washington Your opinion on the best crossover bike MX/off road

I'm thinking of selling my 06 RMZ450 and my 2000 KTM200 EXC and getting one bike to do both MX and off road. What is your opinion on the best bike? I'm leaning towards a KTM300 2 stroke or 250 XCF four stroke.

TXC310 husky

KTM350

GG250/300

Edited by Ride

I vote for the 300 XC KTM. I had a an older 300 MXC, and it was the best "Do it all" type of motorcyle I've ever owned.....

My YZ450f is a better mx bike, but the KTM did more things better. I'm bettin' a newer model than I had would do everything even better.....

Jimmie

I had a 99 KX250 that I raced MX and did some hare scrambles with. It was good. My only issue with a YZ or the 300 is that I am a crappy mud rider. Even my 200 kicks my ass in the mud. I'm wondering if a 250 fourstroke would be better, I'm too old to learn how to deal with the mud :-)

I had a 99 KX250 that I raced MX and did some hare scrambles with. It was good. My only issue with a YZ or the 300 is that I am a crappy mud rider. Even my 200 kicks my ass in the mud. I'm wondering if a 250 fourstroke would be better, I'm too old to learn how to deal with the mud :-)
I love my RM 250 2T in the mud and woods. :thumbsup:

217204_1042908879246_1421328371_30132634_2216_n.jpg

Yz250 cheap reliable fun competitive.

Ktm 300, spendy reliable fun competitive.

Get the ktm, barely ride it and then sell it to me next year for cheap...

I'm thinking of selling my 06 RMZ450 and my 2000 KTM200 EXC and getting one bike to do both MX and off road. What is your opinion on the best bike? I'm leaning towards a KTM300 2 stroke or 250 XCF four stroke.

Love my 350sx-f :thumbsup: Change the gearing, EVO Magic, and you won't stop smiling :ride: Good prices thru the end of the month on 2011 sx-f.

I am pretty big fan of my converted 2005 rm250 for the woods. And all I need to do is change a few suspension settings and its also still a good MX practice bike.

I still can't believe you got rid of that perfectly set-up YZ250 Shrub?

Paul a YZ 250 or XC 300 2-smoke with a Rekluse EXP 2.0. will help tame the mud and it feels and acts like a normal clutch otherwise. The KTM has a dual map switch option and multiple PV adjustments for the mud!

I still can't believe you got rid of that perfectly set-up YZ250 Shrub?

Paul a YZ 250 or XC 300 2-smoke with a Rekluse EXP 2.0. will help tame the mud and it feels and acts like a normal clutch otherwise. The KTM has a dual map switch option and multiple PV adjustments for the mud!

What is the difference between the XC and the XC-W.

You guys with the YZ's and RM's, no overheating issues? Powerband isn't an issue in the woods?

What is the difference between the XC and the XC-W.

You guys with the YZ's and RM's, no overheating issues? Powerband isn't an issue in the woods?

wide ratio tranny and 5 gear vs 6 gears for the ktm question. I liked my 250 XC that I rode a few yrs back...fun bike, light and adjustable powervalve/springs

Two strokes typically don't overheat in the woods unless they're jetted too lean with high load (climbing big mtn climbs). MX power delivery can be an issue in the woods but the bikes are tunable.

You do hafta have a penchant for harder hitting motor coz even with tuning the MX bike still has the harder hit which some people like.

Anymore the used Euro bikes are coming down enough in value that it could be cost effective to buy them vice modding out a "cheap" MX bike.