Sign in to follow this  

2003 ktm 125sx

are they a good bike?i need to know i might buy one if there not good please tell me the bike is a 2003 and has a new top end, brakelines, new clutch.:worthy::ride::worthy::worthy:👍

If it is not beat, then go for it ponyboy.

I have an 02 and love the thing, tons of low and mid power, not to shabby on the top end either 👍 Go for it man.

That could be a good bike. Expect to do a piston kit. Check the routine stuff. Grab the wheels and see if there is side to side play if there is take the wheels off and check out the hubs to make sure you do not have a wasted hub from a grenaded bearing. Check compression, I do not care what people say it is worth doing. If you get 80PSI, run. IF you can pull the pipe off and look into the exhaust port and see if the piston is clean or if it has groves worn into it.

When I go look at a used bike I take my tool and a stand. I pull all the shrouds, seat, fuel tank, and the pipe. If the seller objects, I walk away. I can't pull the engine and split the cases but there is a lot you can learn buy doing a 30 minute teardown. Look at the air filter, is it dirty/clean, is there any dirt behind the air filter or inside the carb? You get the idea.

Go look at 10 or so bikes and you will learn real fast what a shit bike is and a good deal.

I went and looked at a 125 of around that area a few years back and it was the biggest pile of junk I have seen in a long time. I did make an offer on the bike. I figured it was worth $500 in parts. The seller said no and I walked.

Another bike I looked at a 2004 65 SX was another deal I did not want. There were problems with the that I did not feel like working on. The guy wanted $1200. I said no way and walked. The guy ended up calling 30 minutes later and asked what I would pay, I said $500 and he said no way,, no problem to me. A little while later he called again telling me his girl friend told him he better take the $500 so I turned around and bought it. I had to replace the cylinder, piston and head on that bike. Plus the front caliper was wasted.

We need a sticky thread on what people need to look for in a used bike.

Joe...........