Sign in to follow this  

Which 2 stroke?

Hi everyone, I have looking for a new bike for awhile now and decided that I want a 2 stroke. I'm interested in a 125, maybe a 250. I was just wondering which one is the best for trail riding with a good low end but fast for the straights, too. I am 15 years old, 5' 7", 140 pounds, and am intermediate skill level. I have about $2000 to spend, maybe a little more, and I am not brand loyal. I would just like to know your guys' opinions about which bike you think is the best and what I should look out for in each bike you recommend. Thanks!! 👍 Oh, also I am coming off of a YZ 85 that I've had for a awhile now.

Edited by MRLUDDIES

my yz 250 has 450+ actully prolly over 550 hours on origanal everything and i didnt do ANY moaintence at all as im a kid (i do maintence now) Umm the suzukis are the best handling hondas are well blech i hate em kawaskis are pretty good but aren reliable andktms are overpriced for waht they are plus if you fast theyre also unreliable btw 125s have veyr little bottom so get a 250 and if oyu can find it get a yammy

ktms are overpriced for waht they are plus if you fast theyre also unreliable btw 125s have veyr little bottom

Well, at least you got the part about 125s having very little bottom end power correct. I have been riding on and off for 28 years and I have owned every Japanese brand bike (several Yamahas and Hondas), a Husqvarna, and now a KTM 300 XC. The KTM has turned out to be the best trail bike I have ever owned. The bike will chug around like a tractor or it will rip. The handling is top notch. The group that I ride with are about 80% KTM owners. I know people with hundreds of hours on their big bore EXCs on the original top ends....nothing unreliable about that. My bike will start on the 2nd or 3rd kick cold and the 1st kick hot...every time. As far as being overpriced for what they are...you get what you pay for with only few exceptions in the dirt bike world.

Now, back to the question at hand...125 MX bikes make very poor beginner trail bikes. As mentioned, they have very little low end power which can make technical trail riding very difficult for a beginner. They are also geared tall in first which can magnify the lack of low end issue. There is no chugging around on a 125...the power is like a light switch...on or off. You have to constantly slip the clutch to stay on the pipe and that is hard for alot of people to do....and it trashes the clutch.

Unless you are a very good rider....at 5'7" 140 lbs, I would not buy a 250 MX bike. That is alot of snappy power that can get you in trouble easily.

For $2K around here, you can find a decent KTM 200 EXC. That is probably the bike I would recommend for you...light and plenty of power.

• Like 1

are overpriced for waht they are plus if you fast theyre also unreliable btw 125s have veyr little bottom so get a 250 and if oyu can find it get a yammy

Unreliable my ass.... don't believe this kid.... he knows nothing about ktm's if he did he'd be riding one...or at least trying

KTM200 or KDX200. Nix the kdx220 since you are after some top end power.

If you are talking about MX bikes:

125s are light and tossable, and very nimbler and maneuverable in the tight stuff.

250s have much better low-end and take less work to keep them percolating, but they are heavier, and the amount of juice they have on tap can be a handful in tight technical sections.

For dedicated offroad bikes, a 125 is still a 125, but it will have softer suspension, better low-end than an MX model and more flywheel inertia to help keep you from stalling. The same applies to 250s, but again, they are heavier than 125s.

A KDX is a fantastic play bike that, with targeted mods and preper set up, makes a good race bike that can show many larger more powerful bikes it's rear fender in the nasties.

The KTM200 is a very good compromise between a 125 and a 250. It has nearly 250 levels of low-end, nearly 125 levels of top-end scream, is reasonably light, and very nimble, but it's much more hyper feeling and less happy just putting around than a KDX.

Honestly, I say just get whatever bike you find in your price range that is in the best condition. All of them will need some personalized set up for you any way.

For 5'7", 140 lbs, intermediate , trail, KTM 200 EXC is the only 2 stroke i recomend.

+1 if u make in a 200xc/xc-w

they r better for all around purposes than the exc

my yz 250 has 450+ actully prolly over 550 hours on origanal everything and i didnt do ANY moaintence at all as im a kid (i do maintence now) Umm the suzukis are the best handling hondas are well blech i hate em kawaskis are pretty good but aren reliable andktms are overpriced for waht they are plus if you fast theyre also unreliable btw 125s have veyr little bottom so get a 250 and if oyu can find it get a yammy

You are retarted. KTM is hands down best woods machine and most durable/reliable, at any displacement. There is a reason why KTMs are what 90% top offroad racers ride.

...so anyway, ktm will be the best. ull be happy with a 144,150,200, or 250. a 300 will b pushin it for ur size. but go for best deal u can find.

YAMAHA would be my second choice. They make the strongest bikes out of the japanese brands (KTM is austrian). While in the later years of 2 strokes still dominateing the MX world yamaha was said by most magazines to have the best 2 strokes on the market. they have prolly the most bottom end power out of the jap bikes and good suspension. Look for a 2005 and up if u can thats when they recieved aluminum frames.

SUZUKI has very well handeling 2 strokes. Very strong mid-range power but not as much low end as the yamaha. also reliability is sometimes questioned by magazines and etc but i havnt really seen any problems.

HONDA will probably not be a great choice. They have sick mid range power and an even better top-end... but they r known to have the worst low end power. however they do handle very well. A great mx bike but not so much for woods. Only acceptions would be 2002 or older CRs. they had a different style motor with more low end, however then u are buying a 10+ year old bike that doesnt have newer chassis technology.

KAWASAKI is a brand i am not a fan of and will prolly never own so i cant give u a fair review on them. it would be biased.

oh and a 250 will be a better woods bike, however going to the 125 first will prolly make u a better rider in the long run. they take skill to ride fast. they teach u about keeping momentum, clutch control, etc. they r a little more of a challenge so when u move up to a 250 itll be easier.

bottom line: get what u can get a good deal on and a nice bike and do what ur hearts telling u. watever u get ull be happy

I was riding a YZ 125 set up for woods riding until I broke my wrist, then I wanted a bike that I didn't have to ride as hard. At 46, my reactions aren't quite what they used to be. I agree with the two stroke recommendations, but I just bought a 2011 KTM 250 XC-F and it sure is nice in the woods. It is a little heavier, but it doesn't feel like it when you are riding.

You are retarted. KTM is hands down best woods machine and most durable/reliable, at any displacement. There is a reason why KTMs are what 90% top offroad racers ride.

...so anyway, ktm will be the best. ull be happy with a 144,150,200, or 250. a 300 will b pushin it for ur size. but go for best deal u can find.

YAMAHA would be my second choice. They make the strongest bikes out of the japanese brands (KTM is austrian). While in the later years of 2 strokes still dominateing the MX world yamaha was said by most magazines to have the best 2 strokes on the market. they have prolly the most bottom end power out of the jap bikes and good suspension. Look for a 2005 and up if u can thats when they recieved aluminum frames.

SUZUKI has very well handeling 2 strokes. Very strong mid-range power but not as much low end as the yamaha. also reliability is sometimes questioned by magazines and etc but i havnt really seen any problems.

HONDA will probably not be a great choice. They have sick mid range power and an even better top-end... but they r known to have the worst low end power. however they do handle very well. A great mx bike but not so much for woods. Only acceptions would be 2002 or older CRs. they had a different style motor with more low end, however then u are buying a 10+ year old bike that doesnt have newer chassis technology.

KAWASAKI is a brand i am not a fan of and will prolly never own so i cant give u a fair review on them. it would be biased.

Service Honda 2010 250AFX endro is a absolute best woods weapon with 2011 cr250x frame with 2001 cr250r engine,i rid my friends one yesterday and could not believe how much low end torque that thing had 4 a 250 2stroke and handling was great,bike honda should have made period.Question i ask who does the porting for service honda cuz i own a 2001 honda cr250r but it does not make near the torque the service Honda 2010 250AFX engine.It feels on par with the ktm 250exc engine for low down from idle torque amazing:smirk:

holy friggin crap,i just looked at the 250afx,i think im in love!!!wish it could have a WR tranny if it did i would sell my youngest son to get that bike...5 year old for sale or trade for service honda 250afx,he comes with an XR50,and full spoiled 5 year old attitude!!!hahahhaa just kidden about my kid,now my wife is different story she comes with a quad and...ohhh never mind

I'm 5'6" 140. I ride a 250 2t and would recommend the same. A 125's light but I like all the power the 250 has. Has it when I want it and need it. Still light. Which one?? Color you can get used to. Pretty close stuff. Anything 2000 and up you'll be good. Find a good deal and put your gear and smile on and ride it out.

+1 if u make in a 200xc/xc-w

they r better for all around purposes than the exc

xc - close ratio, not so good for trails like exc/xc-w

xc-w = exc - lighting system => only exc is street legal

i'd go with the 200 xc-w. why?

Because yamaha hasnt updated their 2 strokes since 2006

Honda doesnt make 2 strokes anymore

Suzuki 2 strokes just plain suck

I dont think Kawi makes 2 strokes anymore

KTM is the only major brand that is still updating 2 strokes.

xc - close ratio, not so good for trails like exc/xc-w

xc-w = exc - lighting system => only exc is street legal

XC is actually a Semi-Close ratio. It is right smack in the middle between the SX close ratio trans and the XC-W wide ratio trans.

The XC is better for a more aggressive woods rider, or for someone who wants the best all purpose bike on the market, it will work good in trails and good on moto. it is a very happy medium.