Sign in to follow this  

Clarke 4.7 Tank Issue / Solution

I have heard nothing but praise for Clarke fuel tanks ever since I first discovered this forum 3 months ago. Was definitely getting tired of filling up the stock tank every 3-4 days, so I took the plunge and shelled out $250 for the Clarke 4.7 and a set of Factory Effex graphics. Fabricated a set of 1/8" x 3/4" steel tank stabilizers which make the tank mount up rock-solid. Couldn't have been more pleased, and then...

Took the petcock off the stocker tank and installed it on the Clarke. Poured a pint of fuel in the tank to test it out and it leaked like a sieve. I double-checked the gasket and then tried cranking the screws down even tighter, but nothing worked. Jumped on TT and did a couple of searches (with very few results, which says alot to me about Clarke tanks - it appeared as if almost nobody had any issues with them). I found that a couple of guys had fabricated their own gaskets to stop their leaks and it worked for them, but it didn't work for me. The area where the supplied petcock adapter plate goes was slightly concave from the factory between the two brass inserts, and this prevented both the o-ring and the gasket I made from being able to get a good seal. 👍

In desperation I called Clarke Manufacturing. I didn't want to send the tank back, especially since I had $40 in graphics invested in it, and was hoping they might have a solution. A guy named Chris picked up and offered a simple fix - he stated that the tank plastic is at least 1/4" thick where the adapter screws on, and all I needed was to use an orbital sander to take out the two small humps to get a nice flat surface to mount the adapter to. I only took off maybe 1/32" to true up the mounting surface and it worked like a charm!! Took 5 minutes. Piece of cake. Now I'm sorry for all the bad words I said trying to get the leak stopped. :ride:

Excellent product, excellent Customer Service. Tank and graphics look awesome and I couldn't be happier.

same thing happened to me, when I broke down and called they helped me with the same directions. four years later, still no problems.

Hmmm, sounds like quality control could be a little better on these..

To be honest, I was pretty bummed that I had to jump through a few hoops to get the issue resolved. Had I known up front that all I had to do was sand down a little plastic to true-up the surface, it wouldn't have been that big a deal. But again, I've read very few comments concerning issues with the Clarke tanks so I feel that the percentage of tanks having issues must be extremely low.

You know, they didn't have any problems incorporating 4 brass inserts - 2 up front on each side of the bottom for attaching tank stabilizers, and two for attaching the petcock adapter plate. They could have taken it one step further and incorporated a brass plate where the petcock attaches and there never would have been an issue in the first place. 👍

^^^ That would probably be the best solution to incorporate a plate, I just wonder how much extra they would end up charging per tank if they did this. Sounds like it would be worth while to do this however..

^^^ That would probably be the best solution to incorporate a plate, I just wonder how much extra they would end up charging per tank if they did this. Sounds like it would be worth while to do this however..

The four brass inserts are for the XR600R gas tank mounting brackets to bolt onto.

The slots are for an XR650L.

It has two more brass inserts and brackets to support the wings of the tank that come with it. They bolt to the frame mount for the stock air deflectors. :worthy:

A XR650L doesn't have a place for XR600R mounts that bolt onto the frame...

The petcock issue is a quaility control issue plan and simple. 👍 Adding a plate for the petcock would probably cause more issues when the tank expands and contracts.

:ride:

Seems like they should double check trueness of petcock mounting surface or do a quick grind before they ship out.

I used a petcock off my XR400 on my tank. Check to make sure the tank is not rubbing on the valve cover caps or the choke cable bracked. This is a problem on all XR's and XRL's that I have with an aftermarket tank. My fix was to modify a tank spacer off of an XR400 so that it is held in place by the boss for the rear tank bolt and I ditched the rubber grommet that Clarke gives you for the rear tank bolt and just use a large fender washer with rubber glued to the contact side of it. I also added a washer behind the left side rubber bushing on the frame to space the front of the tank over to the left ever so slightly. Plenty of clearance between the engine and tank now

I own two Clarke fuel tanks, and I like them very much. 👍 I haven't had any fuel petcock leaks on the 4.7-gallon fuel tank for my XR650L. However, thank you for posting this excellent tip. :ride:

Spud :worthy:

• Like 1