Sign in to follow this  

minimal/compact setup for doing crank rebuilds?

Been doing motor rebuilds one after another for myself and my buddies, more coming.. Pains me to see perfectly good cranks in the garbage bin! Instead of just installing new ones, would be cool to just replace rods and bearings. I got a one car garage to play with, multiple bikes, stacks of tires etc. So whatever I get needs to be compact. What do others use?

Also, if one gets a really high quality rod, like Carillo ones, it it possible to just replace bearings and pistons/rings and leave the rod in for longer?

you need a press, crank jig and then truing stand for the crank. by the time you spend the labor to do all that, it is quicker and cheaper replace the entire crank. Plus that will replace the left side crank half so you get a new gear for the cam chain

you need a press, crank jig and then truing stand for the crank. by the time you spend the labor to do all that, it is quicker and cheaper replace the entire crank. Plus that will replace the left side crank half so you get a new gear for the cam chain

Good point about the left side stuff, there's a bearing there as well, at least on a 250. I guess I'll give up on this idea and just keep junking them, thanks for your input!

Gotta agree with tossing them because not only the chain gear but the crank pin runs right on the bearing on the same side too.

Id hate to have a new bearing on the stator side go bad because of some tiny issue that didnt get noticed or whatever on the old crank. If you could turn that surface and get an undersized bearing that would be different.