Sign in to follow this  

Hot start switch problems

Recently my recluse hot start or decompression switch just locked up on my 2004 yz 250f. It just doesn't move,I cant push it out with my thumb. I checked every thing on the cable and I don't think its the cable or the switch its self. My bike seems like its running very cold or I should say it seems like its easier to flood on a cold start now. My bike still runs fine and I don't need the hot start that bad. The only thing Im really worried about is if Im some how doing damage to the bike engine. Can some who knows about that stuff help me out so I don't pay a lot of money????

Thank you

Unscrew the plastic piece. Follow the cable down to the carb to the top left. You'll see a black plastic piece. Unscrew it and remove the plunger

yes the red thing, Thats the nut that holds the plunger assembly in the carb take it apart inspect and clean the plunger, also check your cable for kinks and give it a good lube.

Ok I took a look at that and the wrench that fits it is broken right now.And It looks like I have to take carb out and apart to do What I need to.Right now I don't think I have the tools or experience to fix this without messing something else up.My bike still runs fine and I can manage with out the hot start. I really just want to know if I might be doing damage to my engine by running it with this hot start problem.What do you guys think???

Well if the hot start is stuck out then chances are you'll run lean and that could potentially cook your engine. If it runs fine with the hot start out then you were running too rich in the first place. Sounds like to me you should have somebody else take a look at it so something doesn't get screwed up

No, Swede has been telling you what you need to do the whole time.

Well if the hot start is stuck out then chances are you'll run lean and that could potentially cook your engine. If it runs fine with the hot start out then you were running too rich in the first place. Sounds like to me you should have somebody else take a look at it so something doesn't get screwed up

Clean carb, remove carb, clean carb again (seriously, that thing is nasty!👍) Remove plunger, replace seal, apply light grease, re install plunger. Don't over torque the red nut holding it on.

I see youre the type of guy that just throws gas in and go and not too keen on maintenance. No biggie, not my cup of tea but understandable. No the bike will not be damaged with the hot start stuck in. The hot start won't work when you need it tho. Take care of your things and the things will take care of you.

Disregard that last reply I put. Thanks and I do plan on trying to fix this problem but I dont want to mess my bike up right before a big ride I had planed.I plan on taken another look at it when I get back though.Thanks for the advice.

Just to clarify.....When you pull in on the lever it pulls the plunger out. So if the lever is out and the plunger is stuck in you're ok. If the lever is stuck in and plunger out then you'll be running too lean and may cook something.