Sign in to follow this  

06 RMZ450 Odd Noise

I picked up an '06 RMZ 450 - The previous owner indicated that the top end had been redone due to screwing up the engine riding at altitude. In the first day of riding I noticed an odd sound coming sporadically from the front of the bike. It didn't vary with the throttle and occured at speed and also at an idle.

Initially I thought it was a loose bracket / screw but everything seemed tight. Then I thought that perhaps the waterpump had thrown a blade from the impellor as it had that sort of random rattle sound to it. I pulled the waterpump housing and the impellor is intact.

In talking to someone who has the same bike he said the timing might be off. I took apart the top end and low and behold the chain was off one pin (16 rather than 15 between intake and exhaust). I corrected that, checked valve clearances and put it back together.

I took it for a spin and I thought that it must have been the issue as I didn't notice the sound. I was going to adjust the idle as it wasn't always maintaining an idle and I leaned the bike against a post to have a look at the adjustment. Immediately the noise kicked up so I brought the bike back to vertical. I experimented a bit to see if it was always worse when the bike was leaned to the right (slightly off vertical) and it worsens as the bike is leaned right. I listened closely to the engine and it does seem to be top end, but it is definitely coming from the RHS.

Anyone have any insight or have a similar issue in the past?

B

if the cam chain is worn, it will make a sound. i had a similar problem with mine. i changed the cam chain and it fixed the problem.

if you want to check that. you can take the chain out and and take a 20 pin length and check it to spec. but the chain can also get tight spots. so that could be the issue.

The 06 is also known for having a noisy clutch and basket. When idling it sounds like a bunch of nuts and blots tumbling around. When you pull in the clutch lever, it slightly quiets the noise a bit. When your cam chain was realigned to you tighten it so it would jump a cam tooth again. I adjust my cam chain every 2 hours.

^ sorry for jumping in on the convo. here, it's not really me resolving the problem for you, but how do you adjust the cam chain? I know the concept of the tightner but how exactually do you do it? I've never tempted it afarid i'd mess it up haha

manually tightening the cam chain is very easy. search the forum and you find a step by step walk through or buy the rmz 450 manual. the cam chain should be tightened and or checked every 2 hours. when the rmz changed to the automatic tensioner many people swaped it out for a manual tightener for piece of mind. learning how to tighten the cam chain is about as important as learning how to change oil and oil filter.