Sign in to follow this  

Problems with my DRZ400SM

Hi Guys.. I need some help.. I have a 2009 DRZ400sm.. I have a full yoshi exhaust with a K&N air filter and jet kit.. My bike was running fine, until yesterday.. It started to back fire and not hold idle.. The bike seems to be heating up too.. I can't hold idle without the choke on.. My friend said it could be the throttle line on the carb is clogged or the carb is clogged.. My bike only has 4000 miles on it.. It did sit for 2 months without being used..

Can someone help me with this..

THanks

ALAN

Sounds like a clogged jet. Happens to me all the time. Best fix for all DRZ problems is to simply ride it more!

My friend said that I should put a carb cleaner additive in my tank and run the bike to clean out the jets

out here in Australia spitfire is a good brand of fuel additives.

If that doesn't work/alernatively take out the airfilter and spray some carb cleaner into the carb (through the airbox) while the bike is running.

Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but it just doesn't make sense to run the motor without the airfilter. I, personally, wouldn't want to let any little spec of grit get into the motor if I could help it. Like sm nut said first, the best way is to remove the carb altogether and clean.

What would I need to do to get it cleaned?

Soaking for days in a verity of cleaners SOMETIMES works.

Cleaning the jet with a piece of wire Always works and Almost Always ruins the jet.

Removing the float bowl, unscrewing the plugged pilot jet, throwing it in the trash can, and screwing in a new one, takes minutes, always works, and cost $4-7.

Then reinstall the carb and get back to riding. 👍

Soaking for days in a verity of cleaners SOMETIMES works.

Cleaning the jet with a piece of wire Always works and Almost Always ruins the jet.

Removing the float bowl, unscrewing the plugged pilot jet, throwing it in the trash can, and screwing in a new one, takes minutes, always works, and cost $4-7.

Then reinstall the carb and get back to riding. :ride:

Yeah...I would just replace it with a newbe....👍