Sign in to follow this  

Got a new drz!

Well its new to me. 2000 drz400s I couldn't pass it up. It has 5,300 miles on it and is all but cherry and unmolested. I want to clean up the look a little and wanted your opinion.

1. Levers?? What are my options?

2. How good are the zeta hand guards with turn signals? That will take care of the front

3. Targa plate bracket with turn signal mounts to clean up the rear.?

tn.jpg

Congrats on the "new to you" bike..:ride:

Try wheeling for some shorty levers and Edge led tailight

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/4/11/index.shtml

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/cgi-bin/public.cgi

Here are some other things you may want to do....:worthy:...I would do the highlighted items 1st.....👍

Locktite fix the counter shaft sprocket, counter balancer nut, primary nut, stator screws, flywheel/starter gear fasteners.

Remove the rear suspension and swing arm, clean and grease the bearings.

Remove the steering stem , clean and grease bearings.

Do the free power mod.

Install a Manual cam chain tensioner.

Install Case Savers

JD Jet kit for the stock BSR36 carb and the 3x3 air box mod.

Install SS brake lines front and rear.

Re Spring and valve suspension to suit your riding.

Install MRD SSW exhaust

When you can afford it, go for 94mm Big Bore kit ,4mm stroker crank , big valves, RHC stage 2 valve spring kit , Head Flowing, RHC 187 cams, FCRMX41mm Conversion kit. ,SSW Super Start kit...

• Angry 1

OK cool thanks.

I am getting a noise from the cam chain under a load. I'm guessing that's what it is because that's what I've been reading about. There isn't any noise at idle but when I put a load on the engine there is a small kinda chatter rattle then when I get up to speed it goes away again.

I'm guessing the best way to get the bike a little lower would to get a low seat.? I'm 5'7" so yea it's a stretch. I can just barely get both toes down.

For the turn signals, you can take the extensions off and mount the light right up to the mounts. That'll clean it up some. If the stock tv set tailight is too big for you liking, (it is big, but, it can be seen) The Edge is a good one but there are others. Dont be afraid to get a high speed out and cut off some of the extra plastic around the rear fender. Remember, the suspension is a little different from the >'03 models so keep that in mind if youre looking for suspension improvements.

Good luck

Also, I agree about the CCT. Its an early bike and they were improved over the years but its best to trash it and install a MCCT asap. Likely the noise you are referring to is piston slap which is normal during low rpm, high gear loads..but.. change the tensioner soon.

Also, I agree about the CCT. Its an early bike and they were improved over the years but its best to trash it and install a MCCT asap. Likely the noise you are referring to is piston slap which is normal during low rpm, high gear loads..but.. change the tensioner soon.

Do you have a link for the part that I need? Not really sure what your talking about. Sorry

Click "parts store" at top of page..

Click "dirt bike" on left side of page..

Click "Thumper talk stuff" on left side of page..

There you will see the manual cam chain tensioner.

Click "parts store" at top of page..

Click "dirt bike" on left side of page..

Click "Thumper talk stuff" on left side of page..

There you will see the manual cam chain tensioner.

O wasn't sure about the abbreviations. That's what I was thinking tho was the cam chain tensioner.

Heres a few ideas..

A chopped down rear fender, stock light, signal stalks removed..

rearfenfer.jpg

A UFO rear setup..

I ordered the mcct from tt. Thanks for the help.

I think I like the edge the best for the rear. I found a nice cheap set of led turn signals for the rear along with a led flaser to slow them down.

I ordered the mcct from tt. Thanks for the help.

I think I like the edge the best for the rear. I found a nice cheap set of led turn signals for the rear along with a led flaser to slow them down.

Give the flashers a try before adding the new relay. Myself and a few others here kind of like the quicker flash with LEDs. Oh and when you get to wiring keep in mind that the LEDs are sensitive to polarity and will not work if you reverse your wiring. Enjoy the bike as well as making it your own.

I like the regular flash rate. I put leds on my Harley and had to add a load equalizer to slow them down.

I'm having a hard time finding a low seat. Anyone point me in the right direction please?

Suzuki gel seat option will lower it about an inch and looks alright. I've had one for two years and like it fine. Bought mine from oneida suzuki online. Easy install.

I found the suzuki one. Google sent me to a ebay item and it was listed for a 2006-2009 sm. Would it be the same for my 2000 s? This is the part number 99950-62175