Sign in to follow this  

What to do with this Craigslist POS? ($950 03 CR250)

I bought an 03 CR250 off of Craigslist today for $950 (came with title). The seller claimed the kicker return spring was damaged. The part of the spring that inserts into the case had been broken off. It looks like the straight part of the spring was not installed in the hole in that case that holds it. What I did not notice until I got home was that what caused the spring to get tore up was the spring wedged between the kicker gear and the engine case causing the right side case to crack.

The bike also has some other weird stuff going on. The forks and shock are Kayaba. The tab that the back of the expansion chamber bolts to on the frame by the sub frame is broken off. The seller claimed that the bottom and top end have very low hours.

I should have looked over it closer when I got it but I had been on the road for a while and was ready to leave. What do I do with it? I'm not the type that will try to hide the damage and sell it. I don't want to spend the money on an 01 engine swap. I was hoping to only spend a couple hundred dollars on it and be able to ride. Sorry for the crappy pics.

IMG_0823.jpg

DSC08360.jpg

DSC08359.jpg

DSC08358.jpg

DSC08357.jpg

Update: 10-17-11 Cleaned it up and took some pictures. Cleaned up better than I thought it would.

DSC08366.jpg

DSC08368.jpg

DSC08367.jpg

DSC08370.jpg

Edited by RHanson94

man thats a bunk deal. hate to see stuff like this. i bought an 01 a few months back for $1000 and the guy didnt know a bit about the bike i shouldve taken that as a warning but i got the bike anyway. it needed a top end, respringing/valving, tires were a bit old and they are starting to chunk. ect ect ect and lost of parts were put on wrong in the engine. mainly the kickstarter and the clutch. but what id reccomend for you is pretty much what i did and am currently doing. strip the bike down and look for screwups and missing parts and sell the parts that dont belong and find the right ones on ebay or craigslist, and just freshen the bike up. or part it out and get your investment back and keep an eye out for a better bike.

Honestly if it were mine I'd pull the kicker mechanism out and make sure everything is complete (order new spring etc.) and within tolerance. I wouldn't even think twice about welding up the cracked cases. Where they are cracked is not load bearing imo. While you're at it weld on a new pipe support and call it good...

Looks like a little bit of work will gain you a really nice looking 03 👍

Honestly if it were mine I'd pull the kicker mechanism out and make sure everything is complete (order new spring etc.) and within tolerance. I wouldn't even think twice about welding up the cracked cases. Where they are cracked is not load bearing imo. While you're at it weld on a new pipe support and call it good...

What he said, but I'll go one less- get the kicker mechanically sorted out, then slather some J-B weld on the case crack. Then you can ride the bike and see if you want to put any money into it or ride the snot out until it dies and then part it out. Personally, I'd go the latter route- there are some really clean 02 and up CRs out there cheap right now, be nice to start over with a better candidate.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably keep the bike for a little while after I get the crack sorted out. I will either have it welded or JB weld it. I like the idea of welding it a little better because it can be ground down and will not be as noticeable. I will get pipe support tab welded on as well.

The guy had a 00 or 01 CR125 also. If I had to bet, I'd say the Kayaba forks and shock on this thing are from that CR125 and the Showa stuff is on the 125.

Darn I just recently sold a nice pair of forks off of my own 03 cr250 for a steal. Dont worry, you can run any modern cr250 fork, I run 07 crf250 forks on my cr. You can find stuff on craigslist or ebay, I wouldnt worry too much. Just get to some welding and find a good set of forks, might as well look for some crf ones. You could also just use those kyb forks for a bit, probably ok for trail riding, not soo good for mx as they are meant for a lighter bike.

X2 :ride:

It sure looks like it has a good amount of time on it, that clutch cover rub is very telling. Odd that the stock rear sprocket is still on the bike, must have put it back on after wearing out other sprockets. Will you be mx or trail riding?

weld the cracks

weld new tab on

ride it till it dies....

oh and maybe get a clutch cable. looks to be maxed out adjustment wise.....

One lesson I have recently learned (the hard way) is that a $1000.00 bike will most likely turn into a $3000.00 bike if you want it "right"...Then you have a $3000.00 bike that's worth $1150.00 at most. With that said.. You can find a used replacement case for a fair price on Ebay for that year CR. There are also lots of forks/shocks for sale. If you like the bike, fix it the right way and have fun with it. Dirt bikes are never cheap...it WILL cost you whether you by a new (expensive) bike or buy an older bike that you will have to put $ into (expensive).

One lesson I have recently learned (the hard way) is that a $1000.00 bike will most likely turn into a $3000.00 bike if you want it "right"...Then you have a $3000.00 bike that's worth $1150.00 at most. With that said.. You can find a used replacement case for a fair price on Ebay for that year CR. There are also lots of forks/shocks for sale. If you like the bike, fix it the right way and have fun with it. Dirt bikes are never cheap...it WILL cost you whether you by a new (expensive) bike or buy an older bike that you will have to put $ into (expensive).

I agree. I haven't made my mind up with what I'm gonna do. I might see if I can get my money back out of it once I get it cleaned up and running.

give me that damn bike here in NJ $950 for an 03 is a robbery ever if it does need work (as long as it has most of the parts)

I updated the first post with some pics after I cleaned it. It cleaned up real good. I'm going to have to replace the KYB forks with some Showas off of either another CR250 or maybe a CRF250 as suggested above. One of the KYBs feels like it doesn't have any oil in it.

Sounds good, just remember that if you use 05+ cr250 or any crf forks that you need the newer style front brake caliper mount (not capliper, just mount). You can buy it online, its not too expensive. Just keep the bike, get the proper forks and ride it. Post a clean up pic if you can.

For sure, I have a 99 kx 125 that I bought for 900, got it home and couldn't believe what I had bought. If anyone wants to buy it for 2100 bucks I'll break even.👍

well its not that bad, those bikes usally go for around 1,600, with some looking on ebay or craigslist for parts it should be that expensive, unless you take it to a mechanic they will rip you off.