dual sport help please!

I have searched and read, but still need some more opinions. I have 2 strokes and 4 strokes for the dirt so I'm not looking for a dirt bike. I have a wr450 set up for harescrambles and it has a plate, but is not really road worthy. I can get away using it for trail jumping but thats it.

My problem is i had a Honda shadow and a Xl600 on the road. I wasn't riding the shadow and caught myself riding the xl all the time. I loved riding the XL to fun rides at Loretta Lyn's doing the harescramble trails then riding home. I sold the shadow. I have a 50 mile ride to work one way and need a good reliable NEW bike for riding back and forth to work. I would like to be able to ride easy trails on the bike i buy but i don't plan on laying the bike down. So nothing radical. From what i read the KLR looks like the bike of choice. Are they really that gutless. Should i stick with the xl650. The KTM 450 and 530 seemed a little more aggressive then i need. I would like to be able to cruise at 75 if needed for 2 hr rides to the in-laws. Also sometimes i will be riding 2 up. The wife is a good rider so I'm not to concerned about her. She has rode 2 up for short rides on the wr and didn't have problems.

Thanks for any opinions and sorry for the long winded explanation

I was looking at the very same set of bikes. This bike was originally $9000 but about 4 months ago Husky NA discounted them to $6500, which is less than the XRL.

husqvarna-te-630.jpg

Should you get the XL650? No. Here's why, the Husky TE630 has so many features and benefits over the XL, with a 6 speed tranny and easy 75mph cruise on the fwy being at the top of the list. I've put about 2500 miles on mine in about 3 months, mostly commuting and still, I cannot find the downside to this bike. It's great and owners are having excellent experiences with them. In 156 pages of threads, spanning over 2 years over at ADV Rider on the TE630, the reliability issues have been only minor, and importantly, with a 1 yr warrenty, Husky has been taking care of owners.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507511&page=156

Husky features and benefits over the Honda, Kwacker and Suzuki:

1. fuel injected

2. lots more power

3. Up side down forks

4. modern styling

5. excel rims

6. digital/modern display

7. reserve fuel light

8. LED lights (new more powerful 55W headlight)

9. 6 speed transmission - easy 75 mph cruise on fwy

10. Modern suspension, and its actually good off road.

11. Large 3.2 gal gas tank

12. Plastic gas tank - and its very cool looking

13. aluminum kick stand

14. aluminum mufflers

15. water cooled

16. modern switch-gear

18. Astounding price when considering all of the above and its competition.

19. BMW financing (low rates and long terms)

20. has warrenty, one yr unlimited mileage

21. brembo brakes

22. hydraulic clutch

23. alloy rear sprocket

24. pro taper style handlebars

25. electric cooling fan with overflow reservoir

26. stainless steel exhaust tubing

Whats the downside? The reason Husky NA discounted the bike is cause it is being discontinued in favor of a new model TE650, which is the subject of much rumor and speculation. Second, there's not a wealth of aftermarket support like there is for the Honda but all major upgrades are supported by at least a couple of manufacturers. The good news is that for me, and alot of other, there's not much of a reason to upgrade.

Good luck with your decision.

• 4 months later...

OP

The KLR sounds like an excellent choice for what you've described. It is super comfortable on the road and even highway and keeps suprising me how well it does off road.

I've had mine a couple of months and though I wouldn't say it's fast, it's not slow either. It's about as fast as a really fast car.

To the OP. I never thought of the KLR650 as anywhere near a trail bike,. And I can’t say that I have ever seen anyone riding one as a dirt bike. But a couple weeks ago I came across two guys trail riding KLR650’s in the forest. (This has been an unusual year here in CA, no snow???) The trails we were on were also ATV trails, so the trails were wider with larger turns and more road like switchbacks. However, these guys were having a blast. I yakked with them for a few minutes and found out that the bikes were stock and that they did not ride them on the narrower motorcycle only trails. When I encountered them there was no gear on the bikes, but they had packed their gear on the bikes and ridden 220 miles from home to the campground and set up camp. Then gone dirt riding!

A KLR650 does have some off road capabilities. I have never owned one, but did see it with my own eyes.

The Honda you mention will be much more of a dirt bike and less of a road bike than the KLR. The KLR is more of a road bike and less of a dirt bike.

I was looking at the very same set of bikes. This bike was originally $9000 but about 4 months ago Husky NA discounted them to $6500, which is less than the XRL.

husqvarna-te-630.jpg

Should you get the XL650? No. Here's why, the Husky TE630 has so many features and benefits over the XL, with a 6 speed tranny and easy 75mph cruise on the fwy being at the top of the list. I've put about 2500 miles on mine in about 3 months, mostly commuting and still, I cannot find the downside to this bike. It's great and owners are having excellent experiences with them. In 156 pages of threads, spanning over 2 years over at ADV Rider on the TE630, the reliability issues have been only minor, and importantly, with a 1 yr warrenty, Husky has been taking care of owners.

http://advrider.com/...507511&page=156

Husky features and benefits over the Honda, Kwacker and Suzuki:

1. fuel injected

2. lots more power

3. Up side down forks

4. modern styling

5. excel rims

6. digital/modern display

7. reserve fuel light

8. LED lights (new more powerful 55W headlight)

9. 6 speed transmission - easy 75 mph cruise on fwy

10. Modern suspension, and its actually good off road.

11. Large 3.2 gal gas tank

12. Plastic gas tank - and its very cool looking

13. aluminum kick stand

14. aluminum mufflers

15. water cooled

16. modern switch-gear

18. Astounding price when considering all of the above and its competition.

19. BMW financing (low rates and long terms)

20. has warrenty, one yr unlimited mileage

21. brembo brakes

22. hydraulic clutch

23. alloy rear sprocket

24. pro taper style handlebars

25. electric cooling fan with overflow reservoir

26. stainless steel exhaust tubing

Whats the downside? The reason Husky NA discounted the bike is cause it is being discontinued in favor of a new model TE650, which is the subject of much rumor and speculation. Second, there's not a wealth of aftermarket support like there is for the Honda but all major upgrades are supported by at least a couple of manufacturers. The good news is that for me, and alot of other, there's not much of a reason to upgrade.

Good luck with your decision.

Now that is a great looking bike, with great freaking features, id like to see some pics of yours, and some pics of the instrument panel if possible (digital dash, gages, etc), how much does the TE630 weigh btw? what kind of mpg do you get?

1996+ DR650 would fit the bill perfectly.

70lbs lighter than the KLR.

WAY better off road than the KLR

Better brakes, handling, suspension, ground clearance and a much smoother engine than the KLR.

Add a larger tank (if needed), a comfy seat and a small quick release windshield for commuting and you are golden.

I tried a KLR and since sold it for a DR. I too have multiple offroad bikes and needed a commuter/long distance adventure bike and the DR does a great job.

And the build quality and ease of maintenance is MUCH better than the KLR. You cannot go wrong with a DR650.