Sign in to follow this  

350 wp forks

Hi,does anyone run the sxs 52mm forks? And if so what do you think of them?I bought a used 350, with stock 48mm forks,and the suspension was set up for a 195lbs rider with .49 springs. I am 170lbs,I raised my fluid to the max level,and have my comp.maxed out. I bottom out all the time.I hate these forks,and am looking at getting the 52mm's, but I don't want to if they are going to have the same characteristics as the 48mm's

How big is your wallet? AMA Pro level?

The stock forks are a good base and can be made into jack hammers if you want them that stiff.

just get the stock ones setup correctly! seems strange it was set up for heavier rider and its so soft for you? these are excellent forks when set up correctly, sounds like you need valving changes or something internally is not right, bladders?

Max oil level and max compression - most likely you are hitting a wall in the midstroke and think you are bottoming.

I know pros that run stock valving and springs.

Sxs fork is 48mm, like the stock one. The 52mm fork is the factory fork. And I don't think it's easy to have one....

Exactly. You are hitting the midstroke and it is destroying you. I am 180 and run 50s and good valving with a low oil height. Different ways to skin a cat. Keep in mind this is the rate on the 450 and it only ways 5lb more than the 3. Call Mx-Tech or Smart Performance before you mortgage your house. It took me a while to understand it myself because I kept going stiffer and stiffer....you have to have them be able to absorb the track or you will headshake on landings and really suffer.

Thanks for the help,but I am bottoming,my old bike is a 08 crf250,so I do know first hand about mid stroke harshness.On a hard,quick impact it just blows through the full stroke like nothing.

just get the stock ones setup correctly! seems strange it was set up for heavier rider and its so soft for you? these are excellent forks when set up correctly, sounds like you need valving changes or something internally is not right, bladders?

Factory connection did the work,and the bike had maybe 1hr of ride time on it before I bought it.So I'm guessing the work was done properly?

Exactly. You are hitting the midstroke and it is destroying you. I am 180 and run 50s and good valving with a low oil height. Different ways to skin a cat. Keep in mind this is the rate on the 450 and it only ways 5lb more than the 3. Call Mx-Tech or Smart Performance before you mortgage your house. It took me a while to understand it myself because I kept going stiffer and stiffer....you have to have them be able to absorb the track or you will headshake on landings and really suffer.

Thankyou I just think it's odd that I'm to those maximums and still have bottoming problems.This is my first ktm and was just wondering if others had the same problems.But if there's hope I would much rather have the stockers reworked then spend a lot more money for no reason.

How big is your wallet? AMA Pro level?

The stock forks are a good base and can be made into jack hammers if you want them that stiff.

My wallets not big,but I can sell my other bike to pay for them. AMA Pro level not even close.

Thankyou I just think it's odd that I'm to those maximums and still have bottoming problems.This is my first ktm and was just wondering if others had the same problems.But if there's hope I would much rather have the stockers reworked then spend a lot more money for no reason.

No prob. Ask about the huck valves too. Thats why I am running a lower oil height.

I find it hard to beleive your crushing the forks that hard but if FC did the work there could be something ascue. I just revalved my forks that were done at FC and was not impressed with the work.

Max oil level? Where do you have them set?

What level rider are you?

Do you have a o-ring on the forks to monitor travel or is this bottom just seat of your pants?

If you are indeed bottoming out your forks it sounds as if the hydraulic isn't working properly. You might have some dirt between the shim stack which lets the oil flow too easily. Anyway - send your forks in for another service.They might see what the problem was. NO WAY are your forks supposed to bottom this easily.