Sign in to follow this  

ticking top end 250exc-f 2012

Having a 2012 250 exc-f with 13h on it and when it`s cold the is no noise but when it`s warmed up there is a ticking noise from the head.

It`s not noisy all the time but getting worse.

The sound is more noticeable when on enginebraking.

The valve clearance is 0,13+0,13 on intake and 0,13+0,14 on exhaust.

Could the camchain tensioner be the issue or maybe the autodecomp?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

The dealer i bought it from is located 300km from me and dont have any real workshop.

thanks Henric

I have just got a 2012 with this exact same noise.

Found this forum by doing a search for the problem (great site by the way)

any updates on the noise.

I just called the dealer and he is not to concerned, I got the bike as an ex demo 319km, now 380. The gave it a service before I picked it up. I asked the mechanic as he was doing the oil change if he checked the tappets, he did and they were fine.

I will ride it tomorrow and will probably take it in for them to service again and check out the noise.

Having a 2012 250 exc-f with 13h on it and when it`s cold the is no noise but when it`s warmed up there is a ticking noise from the head.

It`s not noisy all the time but getting worse.

The sound is more noticeable when on enginebraking.

The valve clearance is 0,13+0,13 on intake and 0,13+0,14 on exhaust.

Could the camchain tensioner be the issue or maybe the autodecomp?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

The dealer i bought it from is located 300km from me and dont have any real workshop.

thanks Henric

this is not the norm thing to do but check your valve clearance when the bike is hot, dont adjust them just check and see if the clearance has got bigger, if so you may have issues with the followers or cam, i know it sounds a bit sever but its just a check and take it from there.

stevie:ride:

Well installed a new camchain tensioner but the noise is still there...

I only appears at some rpms and sounds like valveticking. maybe i should measure the valveclearance when the engine is hot...ohervise i starting to suspect the autodecomp..more to follow//Henric

Well installed a new camchain tensioner but the noise is still there...

I only appears at some rpms and sounds like valveticking. maybe i should measure the valveclearance when the engine is hot...ohervise i starting to suspect the autodecomp..more to follow//Henric

i had a similar issue with a 2009 250exc and it turned out to be the cam and the follower on the inlet side, but thats not to say this is the problem you have, the fault on mine came at 7hrs i changed the hydraulic tensioner too, have you got a metal sump guard!! mybe the sound is traveling. also drain your engine oil and check it out along with drain magnet check for metal filings ps havent the 2012 got a mechanical cam chain tensioner

stevie

Hi Have tried it without the skid plate/sumpguard and it`s still there, it`s only 450 and 500 that have the mechanical one.

Well talked to a diffrent dealer yesterday (Jocke Ljunggrens father) an he told me that i could try a thinner o thicker copperwacher for the tensioner(stock is 24x29x2mm) i put in one that was 0,4mm thinner. According to him there is some steps/rachets i oem tensioner but the steps are to big and a diff position on the tensioner could solve the problem. The only long term solution is a dirt tricks or another aftermarket one..mine is more quiet now..

Go over to ktmtalk alot better info on there.The guy that sells the dirt-tricks tensioners is a member and hes on there alot.

i had a similar issue with a 2009 250exc and it turned out to be the cam and the follower on the inlet side, but thats not to say this is the problem you have, the fault on mine came at 7hrs i changed the hydraulic tensioner too, have you got a metal sump guard!! mybe the sound is traveling. also drain your engine oil and check it out along with drain magnet check for metal filings ps havent the 2012 got a mechanical cam chain tensioner

stevie

What was the fault? just replaced the cam and follover ?

What was the fault? just replaced the cam and follover ?

i don't know what caused it as i sold the bike back to the dealers, as sump was full off filings, i know they would have been right through the engine and it would only be a matter of time before other problems started and oil ports got clogged up, so i when back to the single cam engines, i now have the 500 exc, is yours ok now

stevie

The noice is still there..but i have no filings in oil or filter :lol:

hi mate did you check out your valve clearances when engine is hot and also cold, also check condition of camshaft for any sings of ware or marks

stevie

Measured hot today.

left intake 0,20 right intake 0,18

left exhaust 0,20 right exhaust 0,18

udating with cold in a hour or so..

the specs cold (20C or 68f)

intake 0,10-0,15

exhaust 0,12-0,17

Edited by henrics

Measured hot today.

left intake 0,20 right intake 0,18

left exhaust 0,20 right exhaust 0,18

udating with cold in a hour or so..

the specs cold (20C or 68f)

intake 0,10-0,15

exhaust 0,12-0,17

pm sent mate

stevie

Cold measurements is 0,13+0,13 on intake and 0,13+0,13 on exhaust.

Just as it was 13h ago..

Should i be near the tight end of the spec, intake near 0,10 exhaust near 0,12(is close already).

left intake has a 220 shim-> put in a 223

right intake has a 224 shim -> put in a 227

left exhaust has a 232 shim

right exhaust has a 236 shim

Edited by henrics