Sign in to follow this  

look away if you're easily disturbed.. spectacular motor carnage

This unfortunately had some broken bones as the main carnage, but that's healed up by now so check out the motor! Pretty much everything is junk, the only salvageable main systems are camshaft, clutch and side covers. Even transmission got destroyed!

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

that is just as bad as my motor carnage.. only thing saveable was the transmission and cylinder head.. everything else gone.

I can understand the valve letting go, and jack-hammering the combustion dome, and I can see the rod snapping would FUBAR the piston and cylinder wall, but how the hell did the transmission get so damaged?!?! More from a mechanical standpoint, but also morbid curiosity, what would cause that much carnage to those hardened gear faces?

I can understand the valve letting go, and jack-hammering the combustion dome, and I can see the rod snapping would FUBAR the piston and cylinder wall, but how the hell did the transmission get so damaged?!?! More from a mechanical standpoint, but also morbid curiosity, what would cause that much carnage to those hardened gear faces?

Look carefully at the cases. Broken rod punched through in two places, in front of the motor by frame spars, and back into the transmission. Messed up the shift fork and gears. The impact was pretty good, motor was wide open at the end of the straight when it went. Even some of the bolts that hold the cases together got bent, and one bolt got basically ripped into 3 pieces and one of the 3 pieces is not even there.

sell the frame to someone with a cr500 motor

Nah, I found a good running '06 motor for $600 (yea!), gonna rebuild that one and put it back into the bike. Bike is a supermoto racer and has probably $3K-4K worth of supermoto parts on it. I'm just lucky it wasn't me on the bike or my bike/motor, the guy crashed his road race bike and blew up his SM bike and decided to take a break from racing, so I ended up both helping to load him up into the meat wagon and buying the leftovers.

I wasn't on the bike but yea collar bone and two fingers.

Look carefully at the cases. Broken rod punched through in two places, in front of the motor by frame spars, and back into the transmission. Messed up the shift fork and gears. The impact was pretty good, motor was wide open at the end of the straight when it went. Even some of the bolts that hold the cases together got bent, and one bolt got basically ripped into 3 pieces and one of the 3 pieces is not even there.

...damn! thanks for the explanation! I did look back through the pictures; that must have made one hell of a racket when it let go!

btw if anyone needs any little pieces like transmission parts or some bolts and stuff like that, send me a PM I'll send them out for cost of shipping if what you need survived the blowup.