Sign in to follow this  

Air Filter Cleaning and re-install

A quick question: is the Maxima Waterproof Grease good to use as a sealant for the air filter? And to which part do I really need to apply it to?

Should I apply it only to the outer ridge ( marked with a red arrow in the picture) or also to the lower inner ridge ( marked with a blue arrow in the picture)? Or to both?

One note that Maxima air filter cleaner worked great but stinks like crazy.

Made the mistake to let the filter dry for 12 hours inside my house because it was the cleanest place I could think of... and man it stunk it all...

terrible. For my new UNI filter I think I am going to try NoToil stuff in liquid format... Any suggestions, recommendations always welcomed and super appreciated.

Thanks.

grease.jpg

rim grease (though I don't like using that term in mixed company) to that entire seating surface- though a bit more (thicker) to the outside area (red line).

rim grease (though I don't like using that term in mixed company) to that entire seating surface- though a bit more (thicker) to the outside area (red line).

Ok thank you, will do.

(PS. if we add your screen name to the mix, I can understand the possible misunderstanding... LOL)

my twin air filter i put in doesnt have the lip thats gos around the outer edge like in cesk photo where the red arrow is pointing. maybe they sent me the wrong one:excuseme:

Do any of you guys use twin air?

my twin air filter i put in doesnt have the lip thats gos around the outer edge like in cesk photo where the red arrow is pointing. maybe they sent me the wrong one:excuseme:

Well I just checked my brand new still in the bag UNI filter and it is like yours, which does not not have the OEM ridges but rather a whole flat area.

Probably does not make a difference as long as it is sized and shaped to fit the white plastic cagey element thingy... (in the other zip bag in my picture).

I don't believe mine (oem still in the bike) and an aftermarket one that I have not yet used have the lip.

I just ordered airbox covers for all 3 bikes- looking forward to using them.

I don't believe mine (oem still in the bike) and an aftermarket one that I have not yet used have the lip.

I just ordered airbox covers for all 3 bikes- looking forward to using them.

urnuts, when you say airbox covers do you mean the actual foam air filter?

Or is it something else? Reason I ask is, I have been sick all week and have left the bike with no filter and just with the plastic removable side cover on in my shed. Hoping nothing gets into and past the screen.

Thanks

(Fever is making me paranoid...)

The airbox cover is a cover or plate that covers where the filter and cage would go and it allows you to really clean out your airbox without fear of getting water/dirt/debris in your intake and/or engine.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/426/21693/DPITEM/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Air-Filter-Covers-Twin-Air-Air-Box-Cover.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Don't worry, you are fine with the bike the way it is.

Hope you feel better; I have a freaking cough (and shortness of breath) that's been with me for over a month... see the doc Monday am.

The airbox cover is a cover or plate that covers where the filter and cage would go and it allows you to really clean out your airbox without fear of getting water/dirt/debris in your intake and/or engine.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/426/21693/DPITEM/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Air-Filter-Covers-Twin-Air-Air-Box-Cover.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Don't worry, you are fine with the bike the way it is.

Hope you feel better; I have a freaking cough (and shortness of breath) that's been with me for over a month... see the doc Monday am.

A month? Crap!! I have the same symptoms. Wow. Feel better you too.

And thanks for the link and reassurance on my precious bike. Now if only I could have the strength to go riding... damn.

Apply grease to any surface that contacts the rim and I use the No-Toil cleaner and oil...........great product and no stink! lol

Edited by Rome06379

I run twin air filters (one is drying while the other is in use), and it has flat smooth foam just like the factory one. The 2 ridges are memory indentations from the part it mates with. I put park lube wheel breering greese between these two groove areas and where the bolt goes through. Remember that it is already soaked with foam oil and held tight with the bolt so the greese amount and width is not critical.

For cleaning I buy the 5 gal buckets of solvent from Farm-n-Fleet to clean them with. I filter the used the solvent once a week with cheese cloth. I will use that solvent for inital cleaning (8 squeezings) and then new solvent for the last two squeezings.

I used the BelRay blue filter oil for a while and switched to Maxima because it was a little lower viscosity for the first few minutes. This helped squeezing the extra out and outting it back into the bottle.

2 Uni-Filters with Uni-oil and uni-cleaner when time to clean and no grease on the rim when installing,but I do not ride in swamps.

... it has flat smooth foam just like the factory one. The 2 ridges are memory indentations from the part it mates with...

Not really. The factory one that came with mine (2008) is actually shaped like that, it is not a memory indentation. In fact, even in the owner's manual, in the pictures showing the air filter, the actual filter looks exactly like mine with ridges and all.

I will get my original out tonight and check it..hold on, I think it is out in the truck in a ziplock bag as a backup. I will go check it out. I will put on my reading glasses this time..lol.

Nope, no grooves after it has been off a while.

klx450airfilter.jpg

Yep, that looks exactly like mine and the one pictured in the owner's manual... so, those are not memory ridges it is a factory ridge... just saying... And either way as long as I put the grease in all the right places it should be all that it is needed. Basically in the dark gray area of the filter that goes in contact with the plastic cage of the bike...

so the grease will go to the areas I painted blue?...

klx450airfilter.jpg

By the way, thank you Willy for taking your time and for the help with this.

you are just making a mess with that grease - for what ?

all I have ever done is put a little extra air filter oil on that area - much easier

it is better to spend a bit of time and make sure the filter is seated properly than to smear grease

on it --- take your finger and run it around to make sure its in flat

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now I am using "Belray foam air filter oil" and it is nice and thick and very stickey !

if you are using some new fangled oil etc - not sure on that

I know a couple guys that use K&N oil on their filters - not for me

it's so thin it runs off like crazy and does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling

I think a little bead of greese in the middle of your painted area about 1/4" wide is all I do. I should grease mine and take another picture for you but you get the idea. It sounds like you are trying hard to do everything correct. Glad to add my $0.02

Instead of greasing the filter, I started greasing the actual sealing surface in the air box itself. I just smear a little all the way around before installing a clean filter and go. Seems to work better for me, and you know you are getting the grease where it needs to be. I also will go 2 or 3 filter cleanings before re-greasing the surface.

Not saying my way is better, just another way to skin a cat!:thumbsup: