Sign in to follow this  

which bikes had 6v electrical, 21 inch front wheel?

My 82 honda xl185 speedo is shot and I need some clue what other bikes had the same size tire and ran on 6v. Maybe I can get something cheap off ebay. Doesn't matter what manufacturer I think as long as the wheel size and elec are the same. It is my understanding the speedo cables are pretty much universal.

You don't need to stick to 6v BTW (the light is removable and you can swap your old one into the new one. ) the XL175 had a 21" wheel,

From what I have seen taking apart a non- 175 honda speedo is the main gearing differences are in the drive gear on the wheel. So as long as the speed on the face of the speedo is the same (max speed and position. ) you should be ok. or you can take both apart and swap the faces.

thanks relic and wildweasel. I hadn't considered the mph having to be the same or the cable position in the wheel hub being the same. More complicated than I thought. Thinking about just putting on a cheap bicycle speedometer. This is for a real old enduro.

The location of the cable isn't that big of a deal. (I have swapped the location on my DT from the left to the right with another bikes front end for example. ) How high does your stock speedo go? I may have one that will work.

(bought it for my 74 XL175 but I got a parts bike with the right one for my use.)

I had two speedo's apart recently, the internal gearing was the same, (for the speedometer part there is no gearing in the MPH, but there is for the odometer part of it) the way they controlled difference is the wheel sender unit gearing.

(and the face plate and the location of the MPH numbers. )

So if your face plate is ok on your current one you can swap it to another unit.

(you have to open the speedo. not hard to do at all, a pocket knife will do most of the plastic housings.)

wildweasel my speedo goes to 85 albeit I don't think the bike can go that fast. Kind of an 80s artifact I think when all speedos from a yugo to a corvette only showed 85. My 96 jeep cherokee still only showed 85 but it really doesn't run much faster than that any ways.

Really does the miles on the speedometer really matter? the speedometer will be geared to respond to a revolution of the wheel so if mine was geared to 85 and another to 100 both should read accurate. Am I right?

I will check the spare one I have it may be right. the way the honda speedos work is the face on the different models the numbers are shifted. (so 50 on one will be further over than another clock)