Sign in to follow this  

150 to 230 swap or ?????

OK….so the wife has a 2008 CRF-230 and the bike is perfect for her….accept that it is not plated. We tryed the Yamaha 250 dual sport, but too heave and bulky.

She is not into knurly stuff, just truck trails, scenery, and getting out in nature.

I found a pristine Cali plated 2004 CRF-150 for sale. I am just concerned about the 16” rear & 19” front wheels being too small.

My question to those that are familiar with both bikes:

1) Can I swap the wheels, forks, brakes etc and then I would most likely part out the 230 to recoup costs.

2) Swap engines (e-start is nice to have).

3) Put the lights, blinker & plate on the 230 and risk getting busted by the legal system.

All thoughts welcome......Thanks.

0a0b57d7.jpg

d0cd6fe2.jpg

Nice garage!!

You should be able to put everything on the 230, youll need to swap the rear swing arm too, cause the 230's is a bit longer then the 150, only think im not sure about, is if the frame of the 150 will hold the 230's motor? i think it will, youll just maybe have to weld on a few brackets. cause the 230's motor is bigger.

lucky that you found a plated 150, what was the price for it btw?

He is asking $3500....which is a bit pricey......but the bike is super clean, low miles, not too far away....and I am willing to pay for what I want if it suits the bill.

Thanks for ypur reply....keep them coming.

:thumbsup:

How tall is she? I'm 5'8" and if I was only into scenery and truck trails I'd almost prefer the smaller bike. And if it's already plated all the hard work is done for you. No need to worry about buying parts, installing them, getting it inspected, registered, etc.

And I'm not too familiar with the details, but if she ever needs more power I know you can use 230 parts to get it up to 230cc and higher.

I sort of did that conversion. I have a 230 engine in my 150. Let's see. What's different on the bikes. Swingarms, forks are slightly different, but I believe will still work (if you change wheels), motor mounts, carb, airbox boot, longer chain, rev box might have to be moved, battery and no battery (depending on year of models) . . . hummmmm. I think that's it.

Oh wait. Kickstand. If you change the wheels, you'll have to change the kickstand.

Bought the CRF-150 :thumbsup:

Decided to keep the bike "as is" and sell the 08 CRF-230 after reading the reviews. Sounds like the 150 will do everything we need.....at last a light weight California plated bike for the wife to ride.

Hate to part with this super low hours 230....but too many bikes in the garage!

16104f0a.jpg

Color me jealous of your garage! BTW what is that platform hanging off the wall in the back?

That is a Loft-It.

4' X 8' platform that has rails attached to the wall. The enclosed electric motor moves it up & down, and it will hold up to 1300-lbs.

Take about 5-minutes to swap the bikes out.

5a8a1e73.jpg

That is a Loft-It.

4' X 8' platform that has rails attached to the wall. The enclosed electric motor moves it up & down, and it will hold up to 1300-lbs.

Take about 5-minutes to swap the bikes out.

5a8a1e73.jpg

OMG! Dont be mad if you find me sleeping in your garage :thumbsup:

That is one of the nicest set ups ive seen, did you install that loft system?

and what did it need, just to be hooked up to the 2x4's and a regular plug?

and can it have like a hidden on/off switch, so thieves could not make it go down?

The Loft-It comes ready to install. The 2 wall tracks need to be secured to the 2x4 studs behind the dry wall and you need to ensure that the platform is completely level prior to securing it to the tracks.

The electric motor is enclosed in the platform and uses regular 120v house hold current. The control box has a key to activate the system so without the key the system cannot be activated.