Sign in to follow this  

presure washing your bike

is it a bad thing to presure wash your bike? I would think that it could get into all the little holes that an engine has and cause some problems, so im just lookin for an answer, because i always washed mine by hand. thanks in advance

You are correct. Unless you know the bike well and show lots of restraint using a pressure washer, do not use one.

Also, if you keep your bike clean, hose pressure should be plenty. It is when you ride in mud, park the bike for a few weeks so that the mud gets firmly stuck on is when you have problems.

I have always used a presure washer and have no problems. Just plug the muffler, tape off the air box holes, dont spray the handle bar areas, dont spray shock, fork seals, linkage, and if you spray the chain just use an air compressor to get the water out.

alright, because i ride in mud alot more or less, and i always plug the muffler hole when i wash it, i would think presure washing would destroy bearing, chains etc, ive just been watching a couple MX races on fueltv, and they just spray down there bikes with presure washers, i guess they just have alot of money to spend :thumbsup:

Used pressure washer for a looonnggg time and never had a problem.

Twin air box cover

Exhaust plug

Just use a leaf blower to dry it while it idles getting up to running temp.

Key thing is NOT to get close with it. Keep a good distance, use the right nozzle (tip), and it'll work wonders for you.

I've used a pressure washer plenty of time washing bikes and quads. Just don't blast water at point blank straight into places you think that water shouldn't be.

Just don't blast your shock linkage, swingarm pivots, your o-ring chain, chain rollers, or anything electronic with the pressurewasher and you should be OK.

Just don't blast your shock linkage, swingarm pivots, your o-ring chain, chain rollers, or anything electronic with the pressurewasher and you should be OK.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Theres no holes in the engine to worry about. All you need to worry about is blasting the grease out of these points he described.

I have pressure washed the inside of my airbox (with filter on) and I always pressure wash the endcap of my muffler without plugging it. Always have, always will, wont cause problems.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Theres no holes in the engine to worry about. All you need to worry about is blasting the grease out of these points he described.

I have pressure washed the inside of my airbox (with filter on) and I always pressure wash the endcap of my muffler without plugging it. Always have, always will, wont cause problems.

How will it not cause problems..? Water destroys muffler packing. and spraying down your air box w/o your intake covered woulld mean you are getting water in your carb or FI. I didnt realize bikes were made to run off water.

Water destoys bikes. I never wash them except to quickly rinse off thick mud before it dries. I laugh at folks that say the needed to replace things like wheel bearings and wonder why their rear break pivot is loose. It's the stupid water pushing dirt into the moving parts. Don't wash the dang thing and it will last. A pressure washer is used for two things... Before I sell it and before I break down the engine for a rebuild. Cleaning a chain does the same thing. Never clean it means to never replace it.

don't do that if you run a sealed (o-ring, x-ring, etc) chain.

the compressor might dry it out, but it won't put the factory lube you washed out back in.

Opps I forgot about that but you are right.:thumbsup:

My neighbor uses a pressure washer on his bikes. There is the risk of damaging sensitive areas, and it's no faster or more effective than me with a hose and bucket of suds, so I say why bother with a pressure washer? They're expensive and don't get your bike any cleaner than good old fashioned suds and a hose. Plus, I don't find them relaxing or therapeutic. Washing and servicing my bike after a ride is part of the whole ride experience for me. I'd go nuts if I couldn't ride.

Water destoys bikes. I never wash them except to quickly rinse off thick mud before it dries. I laugh at folks that say the needed to replace things like wheel bearings and wonder why their rear break pivot is loose. It's the stupid water pushing dirt into the moving parts. Don't wash the dang thing and it will last. A pressure washer is used for two things... Before I sell it and before I break down the engine for a rebuild. Cleaning a chain does the same thing. Never clean it means to never replace it.

now thats solid advice.......:thumbsup:

really man?:ride:

How will it not cause problems..? Water destroys muffler packing. and spraying down your air box w/o your intake covered woulld mean you are getting water in your carb or FI. I didnt realize bikes were made to run off water.

No.. if ur not an idiot it wont hurt. I dont spray directly into the muffler.. Sometimes a light spray gets in there, but it doesnt hurt. My muffler packing has never been damaged. I replace it annually.

If you have oil on your filter, and you dont spray directly on the filter, it sheds the water. (at least repels it from going into the carb. My carb has never needed drained, never had starting problems, or any problems as a matter of fact. The bike is an '07 a whole bunch of hours on it.

Pressure washing is fine..