Sign in to follow this  

How to Un-stick a Valve?

Is there an easy way to un-stick my right side exhaust valve that stuck open or is it best to pop the head off and have a look inside?

Pull exhaust. Remove rocker cover. ID stuck valve check to see if shim has popped out if so replace it.

Spray PB nut buster to valve from exhaust port. Work valve by turning mtr over respray valve, keep working valve.

Have used screw driver to work valve between rocker and shim.

As soon as it pops loose put back together and ride it.

Great product to use is Z Max( Avblend for aircraft)put 2 cap fulls in gas also in oil once changed and hot can get it at PEP Boys they have PB Blaster also.

Later George

I know george has more experience with these than all of us combined, but I think you are playing with fire to just "unstick it and go ride". It stuck for a REASON, it didn't just chance to stick unless it happened while stored for a time. Find the reason and rectify it.

I know george has more experience with these than all of us combined, but I think you are playing with fire to just "unstick it and go ride". It stuck for a REASON, it didn't just chance to stick unless it happened while stored for a time. Find the reason and rectify it.

I have several times seen friends whom left their bike sit end up with stuck valves form condensation etc. Brake them loose and ride like it never happened. Other than a bent valve stem there is not much that will make it stick and you would know right away if you had a bent valve and wound not be starting it anyway.

Great product to use is Z Max( Avblend for aircraft)put 2 cap fulls in gas also in oil

Interesting, thanks. Just read about it and might have to give it a try.

Though it must be a Husky phenom to stick open during storage, my recommendation is based off his other post where the bike "lost compression and quit running yesterday", indicating to me that it didn't happen from sitting, and isn't likely to be fixed with some penetrating lube and a screwdriver!👍 But like I say to my friends who want to take shortcuts or engage in foolish mechanic practices, "go ahead, doing that to your motor won't hurt my motor one bit!!"

ya i second that.

Reason valves stick from sitting is because valve guide is made of a cast iron blend of materials, excellent material for guides using TI valves.

What happens is bikes are usually washed before storage either run very little or not enough to burn,dry out the silencer packing this moisture rolls down the pipe and ends up at exh port RUST starts to happen this grows around the valve causing it to stick.

Have fixed many dozen of these like I said earlier in this post.

Have seen several that were unwashed do this because of where the bike was stored (near the beach lots of damp air and fog.

True if it happens while riding it's a different thing all together, usually bent or broken true statement as no spray or screwdriver is going to fix it.

Later George

A few of you guys called it! When it didn't just "un-stick" with a bit of tapping I pulled the exhaust and had a look in the exhaust port. Valve is broken. Guess that's why it was stuck!

Interesting to note that there were no warning signs, they were in spec and bike was running fine and it just let go. 93 hrs on the clock.

Thanks for the help all!

Like George said, my 04, 450 did that a few times. Just a little WD, pull up with a screw driver and I did go ride it. Never any problems. yours stuck and piston probably hit it on start up.