Sign in to follow this  

Why do people (non-riders) hate dirt bikes so much?

Yesterday when I was riding my legally plated Husky te310 through a nearby neighborhood a guy who was mowing his lawn stopped his lawnmower and ran out in the road and started yelling at me saying he was going to call the cops and I can't be coming through the neighborhood on a dirt bike, etc. Even though I was really pissed I calmly pointed to my license plate and said I wasn't doing anything wrong and have every right to be on a public street. That only seemed to make him more angry and he said he was going inside to call the police. In hindsight I probably should have stayed to wait for the cops so I could prove him wrong but I rode off steaming mad. I'm not some teenager pulling wheelies in a playground, I'm a 37 year old father of two and wasn't doing anything except riding my bike on what was a nice fall day and obeying all laws while doing it.

This is the first time someone has actually stopped me but I've had my fair share of dirty looks from people in the past when all I was doing was slowly riding my bike down the street. Why is there so much hate associated with dirt bikes? Sorry for venting but when I'm being respectful I would expect the same from others.

People are ass holes. You should have dug a trench across his lawn with your rear tire and had sexual relations with his sister.

• Like 1

:ride: tmall... i think they're jealous... jjuuusssst kidding, it's not dirtbikes, but the people who do the wheelies and stuff like you said, the ones who run straightpipes through the feilds next door.. i've had numerous people stop and yell at me, one guy got physical and jumped in front of me on our clearly marked dirtbike trail through the woods (we had permission) would you know what i did? ran him down because he jumped out after he had moved over, i just kept going there weren't witnesses except my friend and he knows i couldn't stop on a muddy surface that quick.. don't think i've seen that guy since. 👍 (he did this several times before and i swereved and crashed, broke my hand on one of them!)

You should have dug a trench across his lawn with your rear tire

We get a bad rap from people that do stuff like this..... and all the kids that ride non legal dirtbikes down the road. Someone uneducated on bikes does not know the difference all he remembers it the jerk that hauled ass down his street or through his yard. I do believe its called @sshole by association.

We get a bad rap from people that do stuff like this..... and all the kids that ride non legal dirtbikes down the road. Someone uneducated on bikes does not know the difference all he remembers it the jerk that hauled ass down his street or through his yard. I do believe its called @sshole by association.

You have no problem with nailing his sister, but don't drive across his lawn?

I must say, Buzzkillington. Your funny bone seems to be worn out.

Edit: It's also not the OP's job to educate the public. The man made an unfounded claim out of ignorance and made himself out to be an ass hole. That's nobody's fault but his.

It's also not the OP's job to educate the public. The man made an unfounded claim out of ignorance and made himself out to be an ass hole. That's nobody's fault but his.

daaaammmmmnnnn straight! 👍

there was a thread recently in the pictures /video section,kid riding his bike through waltmart.he thought it was hilarious.most people fromm tt that viewed that thread thought it was cool and ok to do.i was not one of them ,think the kid is an asshat.i was kinda shocked by how much support that kid got even from older riders.says alot about what i think is the average bikers mentality.

people don,t like bikes because quite afew bikers do stupid obnoxious things.they don,t know the difference between me and an idiot biker.

It stems from all the dirtbike riders he's experienced that have come before you. The only experience with dirtbikes most non riders have is with someone illegally ripping up and down a residential street, or while they themselves are in the outdoors hiking, camping and get some ass hat ripping thru camp, revving motors at all hours of the night and such.

Then the rest us, the "respectful" riders, take the heat. It's all the pricks that have come before us that have given us all a bad rep. That's why it's so important for us to police ourselves.

Whether Tmalls response was in jest or not, that's the kind of attitude and dirtbike rider that neighbor of yours is accustomed to.

And I disagree, IT IS the OPs job to educate the public. Because you can be damned sure they're being educated by the pricks in our sport and the greenies.

Instead of antagonizing that neighbor with arrogant behavior, get to know him. If you have to take an earfull while he voices his frustrations, do so, then assure him that all riders are not what he's become familiar with. Be a good ambassador for the sport and put a different face on it in his eyes. It's what we have to do try to take some of the tarnish off our image, that so many replying to this post seem to be trying to increase.

And educate him that dirtbikes CAN be made street legal and that your is.

Why is there so much hate associated with dirt bikes? Sorry for venting but when I'm being respectful I would expect the same from others.
Edited by Trailryder42

Because they are loud. That's it. All the hype you hear about land destruction, pollution, invasive species transfer, and even punk tattooed riders is just a cover for the real problem. Even I hate loud dirtbikes.

My bikes all sound like sewing machines, except the CR, which is why I don't ride it.

JayC

• Like 1

Anybody that doesn't like dirtbikes is an idiot. Dirtbikes are pure awesome.

• Like 3

Even though I was really pissed I calmly pointed to my license plate and said I wasn't doing anything wrong and have every right to be on a public street. That only seemed to make him more angry and he said he was going inside to call the police. In hindsight I probably should have stayed to wait for the cops so I could prove him wrong but I rode off steaming mad.

I've just about made a career of being nice to jerks like uppity hikers and puds like your neighbor, but I'm tired of them and don't go out of my way to be nice anymore. Should've just dropped your pants and peed on him.

JayC

• Like 1

blehhh who gives a shit. People always have an issue with other people enjoying life. I say everytime you go buy give a nice ol open handed over exageratted wave. People have this issue with everything from skateboarding, mx, bmx, cars, streetbikes, dog walking, I mean the list goes on. Dont let him ruin your enjoyment on the bike. Next time he does it call the cops on your phone for him.

there was a thread recently in the pictures /video section,kid riding his bike through waltmart.he thought it was hilarious.most people fromm tt that viewed that thread thought it was cool and ok to do.i was not one of them ,think the kid is an asshat.i was kinda shocked by how much support that kid got even from older riders.says alot about what i think is the average bikers mentality.

people don,t like bikes because quite afew bikers do stupid obnoxious things.they don,t know the difference between me and an idiot biker.

I remember the thread well. Most of us were saying that the kid did something obnoxious, but it didn't hurt anybody.

You couldn't differentiate between being a nuisance and being a criminal. Good to see nothing has changed.

You do realize that you could cure cancer in the name of motorcycles, and the people who don't like them still won't like them. They'll still make no effort to educate themselves on the difference between the types of bikers.

We ride loud, over powered motorcycles. They're nothing more than toys. There is no need for them. Therefore, seeing as it's a recreation activity, it's going to draw people who like to make the bikes do the things they were designed to do. We see it all the time in the sportbike world. A new guy gets into the sport, putts around on his race rep, has 2 inch chicken strips, and then moans when he sees people riding the bikes like they were made to be ridden. "They're making me look bad!!" They're not making you anything. You chose a hobby that people look down upon. Deal with it and enjoy what you're doing. If you're not hurting anybody, then let them be over sensitive.

In my experience, the non-riders that I've encountered don't hate motorcycles. They are either indifferent or think that I'm a daredevil to ride them. But I rarely encounter someone that "hates" them.

A while back a few of us where in a rural town near Vegas where you can ride off-road vehicles on the street, while technically illegal the local Police turn a blind eye since its rural and many of them do the same thing off duty. Almost everyone who lives there has off-road vehicles.

So we are all the way out in the outskirts of town on a remote rarely used road (staging area). A couple of my Cop buddies say "hey show these other guys what you are famous for". So of coarse I pop a 12 o'clock wheelie the whole length of the street (obeying the speed limit of coarse). Well towards the end of the street this guy comes out of the desert waving his hands and cussing at me. So I turned around and cruised up to the old guy. He prolly thought I was looking to fight it out with him. So he starts yelling and calling me names for "speeding and riding reckless in his town pissing off the cops". I calmly explained to him that I was not "reckless" as I made sure there were no cars or people around, I was doing the speed limit (25mph) and that a couple of the cops he said I would pi$$ off were actually the ones who told me to do it. LOL Once he realized I was a calm adult, not some teenage "hoodlum" and treated him with respect, he instantly cooled down and we shook hands. I apologized to him for the "misunderstanding" and rode calmly back to the staging area.

Sometimes being "the better man" and treating someone who is flying off the handle with respect will make them realize that they are in fact the one who is out of line... 👍

• Like 1

A while back a few of us where in a rural town near Vegas where you can ride off-road vehicles on the street, while technically illegal the local Police turn a blind eye since its rural and many of them do the same thing off duty. Almost everyone who lives there has off-road vehicles.

So we are all the way out in the outskirts of town on a remote rarely used road (staging area). A couple of my Cop buddies say "hey show these other guys what you are famous for". So of coarse I pop a 12 o'clock wheelie the whole length of the street (obeying the speed limit of coarse). Well towards the end of the street this guy comes out of the desert waving his hands and cussing at me. So I turned around and cruised up to the old guy. He prolly thought I was looking to fight it out with him. So he starts yelling and calling me names for "speeding and riding reckless in his town pissing off the cops". I calmly explained to him that I was not "reckless" as I made sure there were no cars or people around, I was doing the speed limit (25mph) and that a couple of the cops he said I would pi$$ off were actually the ones who told me to do it. LOL Once he realized I was a calm adult, not some teenage "hoodlum" and treated him with respect, he instantly cooled down and we shook hands. I apologized to him for the "misunderstanding" and rode calmly back to the staging area.

Sometimes being "the better man" and treating someone who is flying off the handle with respect will make them realize that they are in fact the one who is out of line... 👍

Cool scenario, however the OP was riding a street legal bike on the street doing the speed limit. And you were breaking the law.

I can understand why somebody would yell at you for wheelying down the street, and I too would likely want to defuse the situation. But, it's not quite apples to apples. It's more like legal apples to illegal apples. :ride:

Suggest next time to stop bike and wait for cops to show up and tell you how "wrong" you were. It's the only way that asshat would learn that you are in fact legal and his claims are baseless.

I remember the thread well. Most of us were saying that the kid did something obnoxious, but it didn't hurt anybody.

You couldn't differentiate between being a nuisance and being a criminal. Good to see nothing has changed.

You do realize that you could cure cancer in the name of motorcycles, and the people who don't like them still won't like them. They'll still make no effort to educate themselves on the difference between the types of bikers.

We ride loud, over powered motorcycles. They're nothing more than toys. There is no need for them. Therefore, seeing as it's a recreation activity, it's going to draw people who like to make the bikes do the things they were designed to do. We see it all the time in the sportbike world. A new guy gets into the sport, putts around on his race rep, has 2 inch chicken strips, and then moans when he sees people riding the bikes like they were made to be ridden. "They're making me look bad!!" They're not making you anything. You chose a hobby that people look down upon. Deal with it and enjoy what you're doing. If you're not hurting anybody, then let them be over sensitive.

there you go.stand up for some chicken shit retard behavior.and you wonder why people have a problem with bikes.👍

you think the kid in walmart was doing something legal?i,m pretty sure there are laws against riding a motorcycle through walmart(private property and all).so if he,s breaking a law then a crime was commited.that makes the kid a criminal(law broken=crime=crimanal).i think it,s you who doesn,t know the difference between nuisance and criminal..it,s NOTo.k to wheely(by your admission in the other post)but ok to ride through walmart.you need a reality check.